Welcome back to all our 3/4 students and their families. We hope you all had happy holidays and are looking forward to working with you during 2017.
This week we have been getting to know each other and talking about how we can develop growth mindsets to help us learn and grow while working as a team this year.
There are two different kinds of mindsets: growth mindsets and fixed mindsets.
Someone with a growth mindset is likely to:
- Be keen as a bean to learn from the people around them
- Understand that in order to get what they want, they’ve got to put effort in
- Know that making a mistake is a chance to learn
- Be aware of their weaknesses, and focused on improving them
- Welcome challenges
- Be open to new things and new ways of learning.
The flip side of that is a fixed mindset. Someone with a fixed mindset is likely to:
- Avoid challenges where they think they might fail
- Not deal very well with setbacks
- Try to hide their mistakes
- Be convinced that their abilities are limited.
- Practice negative self-talk by saying things like “I can’t do it.”
Which mindset do you usually choose and why ?
What are some of your goals this year ?
What challenges are you looking forward to this year ?
How do you think you can contribute to our 3/4 team this year ?