Welcome Back

Welcome back to all our 3/4 students and their families. We hope you all had happy holidays and are looking forward to working with you during 2017.

This week we have been getting to know each other and talking about how we can develop growth mindsets to help us learn and grow while working as a team this year.

There are two different kinds of mindsets: growth mindsets and fixed mindsets.

Someone with a growth mindset is likely to:

• Be keen as a bean to learn from the people around them
  • Understand that in order to get what they want, they’ve got to  put effort in
  • Know that making a mistake is a chance to learn
  • Be aware of their weaknesses, and focused on improving them
  • Welcome challenges
  • Be open to new things and new ways of learning.

The flip side of that is a fixed mindset. Someone with a fixed mindset is likely to:

• Avoid challenges where they think they might fail
  • Not deal very well with setbacks
  • Try to hide their mistakes
  • Be convinced that their abilities are limited.
  • Practice negative self-talk by saying things like “I can’t do it.”

Image result for cartoon images of a team of happy kids

Which mindset do you usually choose and why ?

What are some of your goals this year ?

What challenges are you looking forward to this year ?

How do you think you can contribute to our 3/4 team this year ?

56 Responses to Welcome Back

1. Alex K says:

Hi, I’m Alex
    I’m going to talk about growth mindset,
    I usually have a growth mindset.
    My goal is to get my pen licence and to learn more than I did last year.
    I’m looking forwards to more maths challenges.
    I can contribute by asking lots of questions and answering.

That’s all for now, Bye!

2. Nathan says:

Hello everyone I am Nathan,

I want to talk about growth and fixed mindset and what kind of mindset I use. I use growth mindset mostly because I know it’s not impossible so I try to do what I am doing. I am looking forward to Inquiry subjects because it’s challenging and fun. Some of my goals are to make a new friend and get my pen licence.

Bye everyone! From Nathan

3. Oliver says:

I would go with a growth mindset 99% of the time because a fixed mindset is terrible to have. A goal for this year is to get my pen license and try make some new friends in my class. One of my challenges for 2017 might be reading and maths. I think I could contribute to Term 1 by helping others.

Bye.

4. Caroline says:

It’s Caroline, and I’m writing about… A growth mindset. There are two mindsets, growth and fixed. Most of the time, I have a growth mindset, but sometimes, when I’m frustrated, I have a fixed mindset. That’s what most people have.

I have a lot of goals for 2017, and some of them are…
    To improve on my tests
    To do all of my homework

Some challenges that I’m excited about are our groups (Maths, reading etc.). I want to get into Groups that have challenges and aren’t easy.

I think I can contribute to our 3/4 team by helping others and sharing ideas.

See you bloggers!
    Caroline

5. William says:

Hi everybody,

My mindset is always growth because I never want to have a bad attitude and so my brain can grow. My goals are to get my pen licences before the end of the year also to always keep a good attitude. Some challenges I’m looking forward to is Maths spelling and Performing arts

See you next time

6. Mitchell says:

I choose to have a growth mindset because I expand my learning. I am looking forward to facing some challenging tests in Maths. Also I would like to use more voracious vocabulary in my writing. I think I can contribute to 3/4 this year with my knowledge in reading.

Bye everybody

7. Kara D says:

Hello Everyone,

My mindset is a growth mindset because positivity is my thing!

My goal for 2017 is to improve and mature more in my learning.

My challenge this year is to get over 90% in all tests.

I will contribute to the class this year by helping other students and teachers.

Bye, Kara D.

8. Ollie says:

Hello 3/4’s

I would usually choose a growth mindset because I always want to challenge myself. I am always going to do my best.

Some of the goals that I have are to challenge myself all the time and to get better with chromebooks.

I am looking forward to all the challenges in inquiry and genius hour. I am looking forward to the problem solving tasks.

I can contribute by answering all the questions that the teachers ask and give ideas to all the teachers or students.

Goodbye bloggers!

9. Patrick Hibberd says:

Hi Patrick here,

School is back. How does everybody like their new classes. I hope you like them. I have got a pretty neat class. Have a happy 2017.

Patrick

10. Alex.F. says:

Hello Everybody,
    Alex.F. here!

So before I get to the topic I just wanted to say:
    Welcome Back,
    I hope everyone had an exciting and fun holiday!

But I’m here to answer some questions about Mindsets.
    Q.1 Which mindset do you usually choose?
    I definitely choose a Growth Mindset because it’s just better!
    Q.2 What are some of your goals this year?
    To welcome the new people and be a good role model for younger ones.
    Q.3 What challenges are you looking forward to this year?
    To go up to grade 5.
    Q.4 How do you think you can contribute to our ¾ area this year?
    I am going for SRC so if I get it I will contribute to decisions.
    I hope you liked or related to my answers!

Bye for now but not forever,
    Alex!

11. Jessica says:

Hi Bloggers

This year my goal is to get better at my writing because I want to write better. Another goal is to spell longer words more fluently. A challenge I’m looking forward to is the NAPLAN test. This year I think I’ll have a growth mindset because so far this year I haven’t given up on anything.

From Jess

12. Bailey says:

Hello 3/4’s

Some of my goals for this year are to get my pen licence. To read for a little bit longer, get better at time and to get better at the beep test.

I am looking forward to challenges in inquiry in the topic that we get and looking for a good question that I like.

I can answer questions and if I know the question I will put my hand up and I will try and help people that do not know what to do. I will try and help the teachers to.

Bye Bloggers!

13. Angelique says:

I usually choose a growth mindset because I know it’s the right one to choose and because I know learning makes you smarter. One of my goals for this year is to be better maths. I am looking forward to Maths challenges and spelling challenges. I am going to help the year level by listening to the teacher and to learn more.

Angelique

14. Sienna says:

Hi im Sienna.
    I choose growth mindset because it is not giving up and I don’t like giving up.
    My goal is to get my pen licence.
    I’m looking forward to Maths challenges.
    I can contribute by asking questions.
    Thank you for reading my comment, Bye

15. Kara.S says:

Hi 3/4s,

I would usually choose a growth mindset because it is better to stay positive than not trying. My goals for 2017 are to learn a lot of new things. I also would like to achieve all of the tasks I am given.
    The challenge I am looking forward to this year is mainly the school concert.

Bye for now,
    Kara

16. Tess says:

HI 3/4s

I will have a growth mindset all the time. If you have a fix mindset you need to change it.
    I am going to be the best this year. I am also going to challenge my self.

bye Tess

17. Loretta says:

Hello everyone!

Welcome back to St.Marks! This year in 2017 I want to challenge myself because I have a growth mindset and I want to learn more things and get better at the things that I wasn’t good at last year too. What I am looking forward to the most this year is Genius Hour and making projects/posters, I am also looking forward to making new friends this year too.

Hope that you have a great year too!
    Bye guys!

From Loretta

18. Harry says:

Hello Bloggers

These last weeks I have been very interested in my mindset and what it will become, so I will share with you what I think my mindset might be.

I mainly like to go with a growth mindset considering it will have a greater effect on me and my learning than a fixed mindset. Also I have a few goals this year, my main ones are to get my pen license, to make more friends in grade 3 and finally to become better at giving and handling feedback. Challenges I am looking forward to this year are to help guide some of the grade 3’s and to become a better role model. This year I’d contribute to 3/4 by being a better person for the learning environment and helping the grade 3’s with my positive attitude and my high sense of knowledge.

Hope you have a nice day!

From Harry 🙂

19. zavier says:

I would go with a growth mindset because I will learn more things that can help me in the future to further my learning. My goals for 2017 are to get better at handwriting and to learn a bit more in Maths. I am excited for the challenge of Maths for 2017.
    I can contribute to 3/4C by being a good partner.

Bye everyone.

20. Bella says:

Hello ¾ friends,

This year I want to read more books so I know meanings of words.
    I would like to make new friends to play with.
    Also I want to know how to work and use chromebooks.
    I hope to hear your goals!

Bye for now but not forever,
    Bella!

21. Valentina Madafferi says:

Hello ¾ bloggers,

We are all back at school having lots of fun with all our friends!

I know that everyone in their new classes misses their old class but that is okay if we miss our old class we will still see our friends.

So i’m going to keep challenging myself every year when we all move into new classes! Everyone that’s in this school should have a challenging mindset or a growth mindset for 2017.

So that is all I’m going to say for today.

From Valentina

22. Kevin says:

Hi everybody,

I pick growth mindset over fixed mindset because I make mistakes
    I would like to improve writing better because I make mistakes. Another goal is to be better at reading. I am looking forward to spelling tests. I’m going to help people who are stuck.

From Kevin

23. Daniel says:

Hi guys

I’m looking forward to being with my friends. And some challenging athletics.

Some of my goals for 2017 are to get my pen licence and type faster and be better at reading and spelling and technology and get a better score at the beep test.

I use a positive mindset because I need to believe in myself for now because when I have self confidence I finish my work and do good.

Daniel

24. Josh says:

I would go with growth because I am always wanting to expand my knowledge. My goal is to achieve better at reading. I am looking forward to Math tests. I can contribute by being a good partner.

By Josh

25. Shreya says:

Hi bloggersl

Some of my goals for this year are to improve my handwriting, spelling, art, Math and reading.

My challenge this year is to get better at Maths, reading and spelling.

My mindset is a growth mindset because I’m positive. I never give up I keep on trying.

From Shreya

26. William F says:

I use growth mindset to be a good learner and help people understand.
    My goals are to be a good writer and reader because I want to learn about reading and writing.
    My challenge is to get better at Math because I want to learn more stuff about Math.
    I’m going to help the 3/4 level by being a good classmate and helping the class understand.

From William F

27. Nicole says:

I choose a growth mindset because I want to be a good learner. My goal is to improve my literacy. I’m looking forward to NAPLAN. I hope to achieve more in Japanese class.

Bye everyone

28. Elise says:

It’s Elise, and I’m writing to tell you about growth mindsets.
    I usually have a growth mindset because I like to try new things and I don’t like to give up.
    My goals for this year are…
    To get my pen licence,
    Use a growth mindset way more often.
    A challenge I am looking forward to is NAPLAN.
    I think I can help the ¾ team by…
    Sharing my creative ideas
    Helping people when they are struggling.

Thanks for reading!

From Elise

29. CRISTOPHER says:

I usually have a growth mindset.
    My goal is to learn and to focus so I can get my work done. I will be nice and help everyone.

30. Adrian says:

Hi everyone I choose growth mindset because I want to be a good learner.
    My goal is to get better at spelling and reading.

My challenges are Inquiry and genius hour also math.
    To contribute I will Help people and get people to know each other.
    From Adrian

31. Gaby says:

Hi there,
    I have a growth mindset because I don’t give up.
    My goals are to work a bit faster at work.
    Something challenging is genius hour.

Thanks for reading

32. Savannah says:

Hey Bloggers it’s Savannah

I’m here to talk about Growth/Fixed mindset

Growth
    A growth mindset is when you are like I should always try my hardest.
    I should never give up.
    I will keep trying

Fixed
    I give up
    I can’t to this
    I will never be smart

I wish I could tell you more but I have to go now.
    By Savannah

33. Bayden says:

Hey bloggers!
    Bayden here

A growth mindset is someone who never gives up and tries very hard.

A fixed mindset is someone who does not try hard and gives up all the time.

When I am reading, I have growth mindset because I never give up.

When I am doing math, when something’s hard I just give up.

Bye!

34. Caitlin.E. says:

Hi 3/4’s,

I usually use my growth mindset because a fixed mindset means you give up, you say it’s impossible and you think you’re bad at it but everybody else is good at it. A growth mindset is the opposite.

Some of my goals for 2017 are to get better at Japanese, to get neater handwriting and to make new friends.

Some challenges I am looking forward to are Genius hour, cross country, athletics, the beep test and tests.

I can contribute to the 3/4 area by using my imagination and creativity

From Caitlin.E.

35. Maddie says:

It´s Maddie and I’m going to be talking about a Fixed and a Growth mindset, I’m a growth mindset but i’m also going to talk about a fixed mindset so you know the differences between the two.

A Growth mindset is when you don’t give up and you keep on trying to find other solutions and be positive in yourself.

A Fixed mindset is when you give up without trying any other solutions and say that you can’t do it.

My goal this year is to have a growth mindset all year. Another goal this year is to get my pen licence, and put my hand up more when the teacher ask questions in class.

Bye bloggers!
    Maddie

36. Karyna says:

Hey bloggers,
    Karyna here.
    Do you have a growth or fixed mindset?
    To have a growth mindset you gotta be able to accept new challenges and face them head on.

A fixed mindset is when people start trying to hide their mistakes. Remember that it is ok to make mistakes and we can learn from them.

Bye bloggers see ya next time!
    Karyna

37. Tianna says:

Hi fellow bloggers Tianna writing

I love having a growth mindset because it helps me improve. A fixed mindset does not help me improve because I think that I can`t do it and if I try then since I had a fixed mindset I actually can’t do it because that is what my brain thinks. And a growth mindset helps me improve because I think I can do it so I can it is very easy to have a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset. Thank you for reading

Bye.

38. Alexandra says:

Hi Alex here ,
    A growth mindset is …

Don’t give up just keep trying, Don’t reject new things/learning.

My goal this year is to improve my punctuation and listening to the teacher and keeping my hands to myself.

39. Dante S says:

hey everyone,

I will be talking about growth mindsets and fixed mindsets. I have a growth mindset because i’m always open to learn new things. I love reading, maths and science and learning new ways that i can improve my learning.
    Another reason the I have a growth mindset is because when things get hard I try harder and harder to get it all done.

That’s all for now bye guys

40. lila says:

Hi 3/4s

Today I am going to be talking about a fixed and growth mindset.I am a growth mindset But i am going to talk about a fixed and growth mindset so you know the meaning of them.A fixed mindset is when you give up without trying it and saying you can not to it.
    a growth is when you do not give up and keep on trying
    that is a fixed and growth mindset.

Bye from Lila.

41. Danny says:

Hi 3/4s!
    My mindset would definitely be Growth Mindset because Fixed Mindset is not my way of accomplishing goals. I don’t give up and I just keep trying harder and working on tougher stuff which helps my brain to grow. My goals for this year is to write neater and try to get my pen license. The challenges I am looking forward to is harder Maths and Reading. I can contribute to the level by sharing knowledge and helping others.
    What’s your mindset?
    Bye! From Danny.

42. Eden says:

Hi 3/4s
    I think that I have fixed mindset and a growth mindset. A fixed mindset is when someone asks mum or dad for help because they think they can’t do it or they might make a mistake.That is me.But I am keen to learn so I must have a growth mindset too.I wonder if you can have a mix of both?

My challenge for this year is to slow down my writing so it is a little bit smaller.

I can help the 3/4 team by being part of a group discussion and being frendley to new students.

Bye for now from Eden

43. Emilia Year 4 says:

I am so excited to be back at school this year.

Some of my goals for 2017 are: to get me pen licences, to improve on my maths, writing, spelling and reading and to make new friends.

Some of the challenges that I looking forward this year are: Making my first Eucharist, having a go of new things and learning harder things.

My mindset is a growth mindset because I love to look for new challenges and also I don’t give up on things that are to hard for me.

I think that I can contribute to the 3 / 4 team by helping people, being kind and being a captain or SRC.

From
    Emilia year 4

44. Thomas says:

Hi Thomas here,

I can’t wait to start learning about a Growth and Fixed mindset! I usually choose the Growth mindset because with great knowledge comes great responsibility.

That’s all folks,

From Thomas.

45. harry a says:

Hi 3/4s

I choose a growth mindset because it means that you will never give up and you will always try a challenge.

From Harry

46. Bianca says:

Hey guys,
    I am going to talk about growth and fix mindset.
    I think that I have a growth mindset 100%. A growth mindset is thinking of the positive side of your learning. Fixed mindset is when you think of the bad side of it.
    Bye.

47. mitchell lee says:

Hi 3/4s how you are doing for this year.A growth mindset is when you never give up. And a growth mindset is when it helps me improve me.And my goal is to finish work.

48. Astha says:

Hi bloggers

My goal is to not get distracted
    I need to improve on my writing
    By focusing on my goal.

Bye Astha

49. Eva says:

I usually have a growth mindset because if I make a mistake, I’m not afraid to show it and I am always up for a challenge. My goals for this year are to make new friends and have more ideas. The challenges that I am looking forward to this year are Maths and Writing. The way that I can contribute to the 3/4 team this year is by speaking more and taking more responsibilities.

Thanks for reading and I hope you like my comment.

From Eva

50. Annabel .M says:

I always listen to the teacher and I always have a positive mindset. I also set goals for myself. I think that I have a positive mindset and I always want to get my work done on time and not stay in. I also will put effort into my work.

Bye for now but not forever Annabel.