T2 Inquiry: Australia and Our Neighbours

The 3/4’s Inquiry focus for Term 2 is Community: Australia and Our Neighbours. Throughout this unit we will be investigating a number of different features and diverse characteristics of  Australia and its neighbouring countries. These include analysing and comparing types of vegetation, native animals, main climates, major natural and human characteristics, types of settlement and the location of these neighbouring countries.

We will also be exploring how having similarities and differences with other countries can influence how we live. In turn we hope everyone will understand that living harmoniously with our neighbours encourages shared values, which creates a sense of belonging to a world community.

What are you most excited about learning about this term?

What other things about Australia and its neighbours do you want to learn?

Why do you think it is important to learn about Australia and its neighbours?

93 Responses to T2 Inquiry: Australia and Our Neighbours

1. Aleisha says:

Hi blogger’s, it’s Aleisha here,

I’ve been learning about Australia and our neighbours. I really enjoy living in our beautiful country. I enjoy the different cultures that live in Australia also. Australia welcomes many people from our neighbouring countries like New Zealand, Asia and South Pacific Islands. I am really keen to learn more about our wonderful country and all its neighbours.

Bye for now

2. Emilia says:

Hi bloggers,
    For this term’s inquiry topic on Australia and our neighbours I am excited about learning about Australia and our neighbours which are Asia. I want to learn about Australia because I don’t know that much on Australia. I think it is important to learn about Australia because it is where we live. Also to learn about our neighbours which is Asia because a lot of people in Australia are from Asia.
    Bye for now but not for ever,
    Emilia.

3. Aidan says:

Hello 3/4s,
    I am excited about learning about native animals in Australia. I know some native animals, wombats, platypus, kangaroos and koalas. I would like to learn more about these animals. I would like to learn about who Australia’s neighbours are, I know that New Zealand is one of our neighbours. It is important to learn about Australia and it’s neighbours because we can learn more languages. Also we can see what different objects they have and what we have. We know this we can buy and sell with our neighbours.
    See You!
    Aidan

4. Brandon D says:

Hi bloggers!
    I know that we are learning about Australia and our neighbours that is Asia. I was wondering how big Asia was compared to Australia! I was very interested in this subject because I always wanted to compare Mount Fuji that is in Japan to Uluru. I hope everyone has a good time in this subject and you will learn lots about Asia and Australia.

Bye! Brandon

5. Safia says:

Hi Bloggers,
    Today I am going to tell you how excited I am to learn about Australia and Asia. I have been to Asia with my Mum and brother. It was really fun! It will be great and awesome for us to learn about our country and our neighbours. It is so important for us to learn about it because then we know what our country is and Asia is all about. I think that we should learn more about Australia and Asia than we already do. So, do you think it is important to learn about our country and our neighbours? YES OR NO

Bye for now but not forever!!!!!!!!
    Safia

6. Leah says:

Hi Bloggers!

I have been learning all about Australia, and what type of cities there are, and whereabouts they are. I already know that Melbourne is in Victoria, just at the bottom to the right. Sydney is a bit further up, but I’m not sure where the other cities are. I just would like to learn about where these cities are around Australia. But anyway, I had a great experience about learning a bit about Australia and our Neighbours!!

Bye bloggers!

7. Andy says:

Hello 3/4s,
    I have been learning about Australia and its history and there are 6 states and 2 territories. The name of a territory is Northern Territory and the capital cities are Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart and Darwin. I really love living in our beautiful country. I am really enjoying learning about Australia and its neighbours.

From Andy

8. Isobel says:

Hi bloggers,
    This term in Inquiry we are learning all about Australia and Our Neighbours. I am excited to learn all about the states in Australia. I want to learn about other countries animals and plants and to see if they are similar to Australia. Learning about Australia and our neighbours is important because we are so close to them and we can visit. It would be nice to know more about these countries.
    From Isobel, BYE

9. James says:

Hello 3/4 bloggers,

I am most excited about learning who our neighbours are, it will be very fun to learn about. I want to learn more about Australia and our neighbours, do you? It is important to learn about Australia and our neighbours so in the future if you need to tell people something then you will know and not need to find out. I am excited to learn more on a topic that I don’t know much about. Hope you learn lots!

Bye 3/4 Bloggers! James

10. Kara says:

Hi 3/4s
    I am really enjoying learning about Australia and its neighbours. I am hoping to go to some different parts of Australia and its neighbours like Queensland and New Zealand.I really enjoy finding out where different cultures are and how Australia started off. I am really hoping to learn more about Australia and its neighbours in the next following weeks. I like Australia very much and I am lucky to live in it.

Kara in 3/4c

11. Dash says:

Hey everyone it’s Dash again

I’m very excited about the new topic Australia, because I want to improve my knowledge about my country. I am keen to learn about how we all get along in harmony with ourselves and neighbors, when so many other countries are in conflict with each other and within themselves. Australia is a great country!

Bye guys Dash

12. Kara.D says:

Hey guys it’s Kara,

In Inquiry the 3\4’s have been learning about Australia and it’s neighbours. I find it really interesting how many states there are in Australia, how many cultures there are, and how lovely Australia’s environment is. You see the weather in Australia may not be that nice, (like it’s sunny one minute, then rainy the other), but still it’s a good country. Australia completely welcomes anyone who would like to come from overseas, and it is a very multicultural country. I sometimes wonder what it be like if no one from different countries could live in Australia if they’re not Australian. What if people couldn’t even visit Australia?! That would be a disaster!! But let’s not get that into our heads.
    Anyway, bye for now,
    Kara xoxo

13. Tony says:

Hello 3/4s

Yesterday I learnt all about the states of Australia. I will names the states of Australia for you.
    Now here are the names Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, Northern Territory, Western Australia, Victoria and Tasmania. I am excited to learn more about Australia. I’d like to know about all the countries in Asia as well. My mum and dad come from Vietnam.

From Tony

14. Georgina says:

Hi It’s me Georgina. I am going to talk to you about Australia and our neighbours. Australia is a country that is made up of many nationalities. Some people were born here and others immigrated from other countries to live here. People in Australia speak English and some others speak different languages. For example:In my class there are students that speak Italian, Greek and Chinese.The person who discovered Australia was a man called Captain Cook. However the first real owners of the Australian land were the aboriginal people. The main language in Australia is English. There are many international students who come to Australia to try and improve their language skills and study here. Our main neighbours are countries such as New Zealand, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. Many of these people come and visit Australia on a regular basis.

Bye Guys see you next time.

15. Maddison says:

Hey guys it’s Maddie,

This term we are learning about Australia and our neighbours. I find it interesting how many states there are in Australia and how the weather is different from state to state even when we live in the same country.

I’m excited to learn about Australia because it is where I was born. We should be proud of our country and we should learn more about our culture.

Australia is a good country. We welcome our neighbours from different countries that want to live here in Australia.

Maddie

16. Kevin says:

Hi 3/4 bloggers, it’s Kevin here,

The inquiry topic is Australia and our neighbours. I am looking forward to learn about this and I am sure that you are too.I am excited to learn about all the places in Australia. I believe that it is important to learn about Australia and our neighbours so that we get to know more about the country that we are living in and also about the countries we are close to in Australia. The thing that I am eager to learn about is the history of Australia.
    Happy learning
    Bye for now
    Kevin

17. Eva says:

Hi bloggers,
    In inquiry the 3/4’s have been learning about Australia and it’s neighbours. For me I think it is really interesting that we are learning about Australia because I don’t know much about it. We are learning about all the different states and cultures there are in Australia. I think I am going to find it really fun learning about Australia and its neighbours and I hope you do to.

Bye bloggers
    From Eva

18. Dorian says:

Hi everyone

I really want to learn all about Australia and see how different all the other countries are. I would love to learn all the landmarks and the cities. I think that I will succeed and learn all of the landmarks by the end of the term. I hope that everyone will love my project when I do it.

Bye Everyone Dorian Out

19. Blake Lamanna says:

Hello 3/4s,
    I am excited about learning about the different cultures in Australia. I love all different types of food and am very excited to learn about all the different types of foods from each culture. I am from an Italian and German background and love their food and would like to try others.

Later!
    Blake “Cena”

20. Dante says:

Hello bloggers it’s Dante here,

This term we have been learning about Australia and our neighbour Asia.
    I’m so desperate to learn about all the countries about states in Asia and Australia.
    When they told us I was surprised because I already knew a bit about Australia.
    I know that Dingley is a suburb and Melbourne is a capital city, Victoria is one out of seven states and Australia is a country.

See you all next time bloggers.

21. Bianca L says:

Hey fellow bloggers its Bianca L here!

In class, when we looked at the map of how the Indigenous people divided their land and grouped themselve so each group would speak their own language.
    I was really surprise at how different it is now after the invasion of the British and we now only have 8 states and territories while the Indigenous used to have lots more than that. This is such a interesting and exciting topic for me.
    I have a tiny bit of knowledge from this show that’s called Move It Mob Style where Aboriginal people dance on the show and sometimes they show how they teach Aboriginal children to learn English like us but outdoors which I think is really cool. I think they are learning English because their first tongue is their Aboriginal language.
    Also, did you know that New Zealand is one of our neighbours ?

By for now!
    Bianca L

22. Nicholas says:

Hi bloggers

I am excited to be learning about Australia and neighbouring countries. I already know where Melbourne is – it is in Victoria. I love learning about where the states are in Australia and the neighbouring countries – these both interest me. I like travelling and seeing other countries and am interested in how we can all help each other work better together and strengthen our international relationships. I think it is great that when countries are in need of help, Australia goes in and helps them out… like in Fiji with the recent cyclone, we offered aid and resources.

Bye for now but not forever
    Nicholas

23. Patrick says:

Hi guys,
    I am excited about learning about Australia and all of our neighbours because I am interested in all of the states of Australia. I am also excited to learn about the different parts of Australia and our neighbours. I want to learn about all of the cities and landmarks that Australia and our neighbours have. I think it is important to learn about Australia and its neighbours because we live in Australia and we can teach other people about what we have learnt.
    Bye for now .

24. Jack H says:

Hello 3/4

I am so happy that we are learning about Australia I think that it will be easy for me because I know a lot about Australia. As for Asia I know a few of the countries but I don’t know all of them.There is a lot of small communities in Australia/Asia and and only a few of their native languages are still spoken.I am hoping to learn a bit of those languages and maybe even have a conversation with another 3/4 or 5/6 if they are learning about Australia/Asia. I hope to learn a lot more about Australia/Asia.

Until next time thats all folks!!

Jack

25. Sophie says:

Hello Sophie here,
    I am very excited to learn more about Australia. This subject is very tricky and it is challenging that is why I like it. Do you think this is a challenging subject…?
    I like this subject because it is very creative and you could find out a lot of new things.

See you next time.

26. Kaitlin says:

Hi bloggers! It’s Kaitlin here!
    I am very excited about the Australia And Our Neighbours topic because I would like to learn all about the history of Australia. I think it is important to learn about Australia. We need to learn about our neighbour’s because we need to know where different sorts of suburbs, states and countries are that are around us and are near us. I hope to find out lots of things about Australia and Asia.
    Bye from Kaitlin

27. Zoe says:

Hi everyone it is Zoe here,
    I can’t wait to learn more about Australia and our neighbours. I also look forward to learning more about of the states and capitals of Australia. I think it’s important that we learn about Australian because we need to know about our country and we’re we live. It’s also important to know about Asia because it is close to us.

Bye for now but not for ever

28. Ethan W says:

Hi Everybody
    I have had fun learning about Australia
    and its neighbours. I am most excited to learn about New Zealand and Tasmania because I do not know a lot about them yet. My mum and dad visited New Zealand before I was born and said it was very beautiful.They visited the cathedral before it was destroyed by an earthquake.
    I also want to learn about the differences between Australian Aboriginals and the Maoris which are the Aboriginals of New Zealand.
    In Reading we are learning about all the different types of languages that were spoken in Australia by the Aboriginals.
    I also liked doing the map activity where you had to draw your house and the key things for it on a map of Australia.
    Bye for now
    Ethan

29. Angelique says:

Hi everyone,
    I think that Australia is a great topic to learn because there are so many interesting things to learn like: landmarks for example Uluru, the Sydney opera house.
    I would like to learn about the Australian animals, the different cultures and Australia’s
    neighbours.

See you next time
    Angelique

30. Valentina says:

Hi bloggers,

I have been enjoying learning about all the states that people live in.
    I have also been learning that parts of Australia are like a jigsaw. If the parts of the jigsaw move there could be an earthquake.
    Luckily we don`t have bad earthquakes here.
    There is different states in Australia. They are Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, Northern Territory, Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania.

Bye everyone,

from Valentina.

31. Dante says:

Hey everyone,
    I can’t wait to learn about this topic.
    I’m really interested in this topic because it is interesting. I’m excited to learn this because I like learning about Australia.
    I also like learning about Asia because it is our neighbor.

Bye guys.

32. Mia says:

Hi it’s Mia,
    This term I want to learn more about Australia because I don’t know that much about Australia. So I want to learn about how many different places there are in Australia. I also want to learn more about the neighbours like Asia. I think we should learn more about Australia because it is important that we know some things about our country. I also think that we should learn about Australia because we need to know the important things around us.
    Bye for now but not forever!
    Mia

33. Olivia says:

Hi blogger’s
    I find it really interesting how we are learning about our country Australia. We do fun activities and find out all about our states and cities. We learn about all parts of Australia, one thing that I found really interesting is how many languages the where when it was just aboriginals. I have learnt some new fact on our country and states, for example I never knew the Canberra was created because Sydney and Victoria couldn’t figure out the government should stay. At first when we heard that we were learning about this I wasn’t to excited but then I realized that after a few lessons you will find that you want to learn more and are hooked on it.
    Bye from Olivia

34. Emily says:

Hi 3/4 Bloggers,
    This semester we are going to learn about Australia and our neighbors. I know New Zealand is one of our neighbours and Indonesia is one of Australia’s nearest neighbors. I have a question about the topic that we are doing. My question is How big is Australia and where would it be placed out of all of the world? The thing I am most excited about the languages our neighbors speak.

Bye for now but not forever
    Emily

35. Charlie says:

Hi there bloggers,
    This term we are going to be learning about Australia and Our Neighbours. I am so excited about it because I have never been to Asia. I want to learn the difference between Australia and Asia because Asia includes many different countries. So far I’ve liked drawing a map of where I live and using a key and gridlines. I have also enjoyed learning where the seven different capital cities are in Australia and I got some of it wrong but it was fun. I can’t wait to learn more about this topic.
    Charlie

36. Claudia says:

Hi bloggers
    I had lots of fun learning about Australia. I have visited one of our neighbours called New Zealand.

I went there with my family and I really enjoyed their culture. Australia has many different cultures which makes our country very special. My background is both Italian and Greek and I would love to also learn about those cultures. I can’t wait to learn more about my country Australia.
    It was nice talking to you
    Bye for now
    CLAUDIA

37. Joel says:

Hello fellow bloggers, Joel here. In inquiry this term, we are learning about Australia and Asia. Later this term we will be learning about Australia and our neighbours. Our neighbours are Asia and New Zealand. Did you know that there are a few islands near our country? One of them is Fiji. I have been there twice. The first time I went there was when I was in 4 year old kinder. The second time was last year.
    Bye for now
    Joel

38. Ollie says:

Hi 3/4ś
    I really like what we’re learning about Australia and our Neighbours. I want to know more about Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania. I have been to Tasmania before but I don’t know much about it. It has been fun learning about Australia and our Neighbours and some different countries.
    Bye for now but not forever.
    Ollie.

39. campbell says:

Hello bloggers
    I want to know all the neighbours of Australia.
    I am going to Bali and they are a neighbours of Australia..A close one too.
    We are going to know all about Bali people and their culture and how they live.
    How could they live in such heat?
    Bye bloggers

40. Lennix says:

Hi bloggers, I really like Australia and I want to learn more about it. My favourite thing about Australia is all the different states. I would like to learn about Asia too because I don’t know
    much about Asia and I would like to learn something about the place.

From Lennix

41. Eliza.W says:

Hi bloggers!
    I’m having fun with learning about Australia’s states and cities. I really like living in Australia because it is so beautiful. I am looking forward to learning about Australia’s neighbours.

Bye bloggers!

42. Grace.R says:

Hi bloggers it’s Grace here!
    This term I am most excited to learn about Australia’s history.
    I would love to learn about the first person that found Australia.
    I think it is important to learn about Australia because it is a big place, with a lot of different people living here.

Bye!

from Grace.R

43. Bianca says:

Hi everyone,

I had fun learning about Australia and neighbours. I learnt that in Australia there is 7 states.
    I hope to learn about Australia’s native animals because I think it is interesting and would love to learn about the Tasmanian devil and why it got extinct.
    I know that we are going to learn about our neighbours who is Asia and how Australia compares to them eg animals, food, flowers.

Thanks all Bianca

44. Adrian says:

Hi, I am Adrian

I am excited to learn about Australia as I know a lot more about New Zealand. I used to live in Auckland which is New Zealand’s largest city. Auckland has 53 volcanoes. The largest and youngest volcano is called Rangitoto. New Zealand has two main narrow and mountainous islands, the North Island and the South Island. New Zealand also has tectonic Plates and small earthquakes almost everyday. These plates can also generate tsunamis. There are many great picnic sites and walking tracks around Auckland. It is a great place if you like nature.
    The Kiwi bird is a native bird, it has a very long beak and it is nocturnal. The Kiwi birds are endangered because they lay their eggs on the ground and mice eat their eggs. The indigenous people of New Zealand are called Maoris.

I am interested to learn more about Australia and the aboriginal people who are the original inhabitants of Australia. They have great artwork such as painting on leaves, wood carving, rock carving, sculpting, ceremonial clothing and sand painting. Australia was a British colony. Melbourne is very multicultural and many people come from different countries. I have been to Queensland which looks very tropical. I also like Australian animals and birds. I like the kangaroos, wombats, koalas, Galah birds, Kookaburras, cockatoos and the colourful Rainbow Lorikeets.
    I would also like to learn more about Tasmania, other States of Australia, neighbouring countries like Papua New Guinea and the South-East Asian countries.

Bye

Adrian

• angestuart says:

Hi Adrian,
      Wow you know a lot about New Zealand. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge about it.
      It should be a really fun Inquiry unit ! 🙂
      From Miss Stuart

45. Estelle says:

Hi bloggers,
    I’m excited to learn about who
    are our neighbours. I know one
    of our neighbours is Figi because I’ve
    been there.
    We have been learning about
    the states and the capital cities. I feel
    happy because I never knew about
    it. It’s important to know where you’re from.

Bye for now but not forever!
    Estelle xoxoxoxo

46. Olivia.A says:

Hi Everybody! This is Olivia!

I am very excited this term to be learning about the country where I was born (the place I call home) and it’s neighbours.

I find it interesting that our country is made up of so many diverse cultures from all around the world and how they have migrated to our country and we have accepted them into our lives. I want to learn more about the history of the first ancestors ‘The Aboriginals’, Captain Cook discovering Australia, the different states and what their famous landmarks are that people from all over the world come and visit.

I love living in the world’s most liveable city ‘Melbourne’ because of the beaches, the bustling city centre, the shopping, the food and that there is so much to do and see.

Chat soon

Olivia.A

47. Crystal says:

Hi bloggers! It’s Crystal here,
    I have learnt many different things about Australia and our neighbours. I’m very excited about learning new amazing things. I want to learn more about how our states are made. I think learning about Australia and our neighbours is very educational for us because we get to learn all about our world and our neighbours. It is very nice to learn about this topic and I hope we all enjoy it.

Crystal

48. Annabel . M says:

Hi Bloggers,

In Inquiry the 3/4s have been learning about Australia and our neighbours.
    I am interested in learning about the different States in Australia especially Queensland because they call it the Sunshine State.
    I know some Australian animals they are the Platypus, Emu, Kookaburra, Kangaroo, Wombat, Cockatoo and Koala. I would like to know about their different features.
    Also I know New Zealand is an Australian neighbour and I would like to learn the other countries
    around Australia and how they live.
    I love living in Australia.

Bye from Annabel

49. Jordan says:

HI bloggers,

I like Australia and enjoy learning about the different states and the native animals. It is important to learn about Australia and its history because it is where we live.
    Asia is our neighbour and I would like to learn about their culture.

Bye for now

Jordan

50. jude.p says:

Hello bloggers its Jude here .I really like Australia and I want to learn more about Asia because it has countries like China , Japan and Bali. My favourite thing about Asia is that they have really nice food like spring rolls and noodles. I really like Aisa.
    I like Australia because there are really nice states like South Australia
    From Jude.