The Human Brain

During Inquiry lessons we are learning about the different parts of the brain and how they function.  Some parts of the brain we have learnt are:

the cerebrum, hippocampus, cerebellum, amydala and pre-frontal cortex (PFC).

• What have you learnt about the brain so far?
  • What are you interested in researching further about the brain and how it works?
  • What do your parents and other family members know about the brain?

Post your thoughts below Year 3/4 neurosculptors!

47 Responses to The Human Brain

1. Caitlin .E. says:

Hi 3/4’s,
    Things I have learnt about the brain are it keeps working when you’re sleeping, each adults’ neurons die every second and it looks gross.

I would like to research to find out how the brain controls my body and what happens if your head is too small for your brain to grow.

Caitlin’s mum Jo here – One thing I know about the brain that is really cool is that the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. Pretty cool hey!

from Caitlin and her Mum

2. Christian says:

Hi bloggers

I am here to tell you what I know about the brain. I have learnt that there are billions of neurons inside your brain. These neurons are balls with branches on them. They send messages to the other neurons you have got. You can get more neurons by learning things. The question I am most interested in is : Is there a maximum amount of neurons you can have?
    See you bloggers and I hope you enjoyed this comment!

Christian.

3. Josh G says:

Hi bloggers,

I have really enjoyed learning about the human brain it is really fun. I like how in Terrific Tuesday in some classes we get to play games using our brain. I have learnt that your brain is an organ and that inside your brain there are cells called neurons. There are lots of parts of the brain like the:
    cerebrum, cerebellum and the brain stem. Thanks for teaching us about the brain! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Josh

4. Safia says:

Hi bloggers,
    What is the brain?
    Is it a muscle is it an Apple?
    The brain is inside your head. It is the smartest organ in your body. What is an organ? An organ is something that helps to keep your body functioning.
    Bye bloggers
    See you next week. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

5. Harry says:

Hello bloggers

I just want to say here that I don’t really know a lot about the brain so far but I do know some of it.

So I started with the lobes – there’s the frontal lobe that does the reasoning, planning, parts of speech, movement emotions and problem solving.

The parietal lobe does the movement (also) orientation recognition and the perception of stimuli.

The occipital lobe does the visual processing.

And the temporal lobe does the perception, recognition of auditory stimuli, memory and speech.

I hope you learnt something bloggers and hope you have a nice time.

From Harry

6. Ollie says:

Hi everyone,
    That post was very interesting and it had some good words in it.That gave me a lot of new words for my writing so I thought it was a really good post.That brain post had all the parts of the brain and they were very long words that I would like to learn.That post helped me learn about the brain and the parts of the brain. I liked that post because it had some interesting words in it.
    bye from Ollie

7. Ryan H says:

Hi Blogger it is Ryan here,
    If you didn’t know the brain is the most important part of your body. The right side of your brain controls the left, and the left side of your brain controls the right. My left is stronger than my right. Why does the right side control the left and the left side controls the right? 90% of people are right handed. Bye for now but not forever.

8. Bianca L says:

Hi everyone Bianca here,

I just simply LOVE our topic for Inquiry! It’s so fun and interesting as we are learning about it.

Today in my class, we had such a great discussion. I learnt heaps of new facts from all 3/4MC’s knowledge. Mrs Mirabella’s activity is just AWESOME! I have learnt so much new things but I don’t think my brain could store that much information all at once or it will be overloaded!

I hope everyone enjoys this topic as much as I do!

Catch you later!
    Bianca L

9. Dante says:

Good day lads it’s Dante,

With the brain I’ve learnt how the certain brain waves flow from neuron to neuron.
    I want to learn about how big and heavy a brain could get.
    I love learning about the brain because it is really interesting.
    I don’t actually know much about the brain so I’m really stuck into all the lessons.

I’m out bloggers.

10. Jessica says:

Hi it’s Jessica!
    The Human brain is very interesting in lots of different ways.
    I wonder what the brain uses to make it keep working?
    The brain controls the body by sending them messages and tells the
    body what to do. If one of your body parts get damaged, the brain can’t send messages. For example if your arm got damaged , now the brain can’t send messages to the arm.
    Bye bloggers see you next time!

11. Ethan says:

Hi folks Ethan here,

I learnt that the brain can do things that a super computer can not do and that an animal brain is not as powerful as a human brain.

I am interested in researching how many neurons there are in a brain and I wonder how many messages does the brain get a day?
    My brother and my parents know heaps of stuff about the brain.

Bye guys-Ethan

12. Harper says:

Hey ¾’s

I am really interested by the growth and fixed mindset and
    I want to learn the different parts
    of the brain. I want to learn more
    about the fixed mindset.

The brain is my favorite part of the
    body. I have a growth mindset.

Bye 3/4’s

13. Andy says:

Hi everyone,
    I learnt that the animal brain is not as powerful as the human brain.
    The brain is like a super computer and doesn’t sleep at night.
    If the brain went to sleep you will be dead and you don’t want that to happen.
    I would be interested to be research memory.
    From Andy

14. Ryan says:

Hello Everyone,

I have learnt that the brain makes all our ideas, and there are Neurons that connect with other Neurons tell each one what they have to do to your body. The brain is a very important part of our body because it controls our mind. I want to research about why your brain does not go to sleep when you go to bed? And why does our brain have a big memory?

From Ryan.D

15. Eva says:

Hi it’s Eva,
    I learnt that if your brain shuts down you can die.
    When you make a mistake your brain grows.
    The brain is divided into two sides.
    The brain has electrical signals.

See you later bloggers

16. Sebastian says:

Hi everyone,
    Did you know the brain sends messages to our body parts and our body parts send messages to our brain? This happens through our spinal cord. This is called the central nervous system. I love the brain. It is very cool and interesting.

Bye everyone

17. thomas(¬‿¬) says:

HI all Tom here.

I think the brain is very amazing.I know some parts of the brain like the
    cerebrum hippocampus and cerebellum. There are also the main parts of the
    brain as in forebrain, midbrain and hindbrain. I am enjoying learning about the brain.

from Tom

18. Georgina says:

Hi everyone it’s me Georgina

This term in inquiry we are learning about the brain. I know that the brain controls everything in your body. Your brain is really intelligent and smart. Your brain tells you if you’re tired,hungry and wide awake. Your brain can control your emotions and it can tell if something is too hot or cold. Your brain has these little things called neurons and they can tell your brain how you are feeling today.

Bye for now.

19. Blake says:

Hi 3/4’s it’s Blake,

The Brain is fascinating. Your brain sends information to your body so you can move.
    The brain is an organ that serves as the center of the nervous system. It is located in the head. Also it is very squishy to touch if you could but its protected by the skull.

bye everyone!!!!!

20. Manya says:

Hi guys, Manya here,

How are you ? We are learning about the brain.
    Did you know there are four types of brain waves.
    They are alpha,beta,theta and delta
    The brain is so exiting.

See you next time.

21. Grace says:

Hello bloggers it’s Grace here!
    I wonder what the brain is made of? I learnt that the right hemisphere controls the left hand side of the body. The left hemisphere controls the right hand side of the body. I just love when I learn new things about the brain because it’s very interesting. I wonder what is my brain doing right now???
    Bye bloggers

22. Angelique says:

Hi everyone,
    I have enjoyed learning about our memory.
    There are three types of memories and they are:
    1. Automatic memory which you don’t even think about doing as your brain runs all the body systems.
    2. Another memory is your Short term memory which is like the files you are working on at the moment or the ones you use a lot.
    3. The last memory is Long term memory you don’t need to use it all the time but you know you can find it when you need it…

Very interesting…
    Bye everyone
    Angelique

23. Josh S says:

Hey guys Josh here!

This year I am really excited to learn more about the human brain. Although I have learned a lot about it already I’m still determined to find out more about it!! I have learned about the parts in your brain such as Cerebrum, Cerebellum, Hippocampus, PFC and the Amygdala. There also is neurons in your brain that send messages to other parts of your brain. This inquiry topic is really fun and REALLY interesting!

Bye for now!

24. Hayley says:

Hi bloggers, it’s Hayley
    I looked at some videos on the portal today and they were about the brain. This year we are learning about the brain. I love learning about the brain because it is very fun and interesting.
    What i want to learn about the brain is the neurons because they have a weird shape and why it has a weird shape. Another thing I want to learn about is the amydala. I want to learn about the amydala because I wonder how it controls your brain?
    See you next time.

25. Dante says:

Hey everyone,

I have loved learning about the brain, it is so interesting.
    I’d like to learn about how the brain manages to do so much work.
    I’ve learned about the parts of the brain and what they do.
    My mum says that you have to protect the brain because its very delicate, we need it for every thing we do and say and feel, and also you have to train your brain.

Bye bloggers.Dante

26. campbell says:

Hi Bloggers it’s Campbell

I think that I have a growth mindset because I can learn easily. For example, in maths numbers and problems make sense to me. Most people have a growth mindset because everyone is good at learning. If you don’t have a growth mindset you might not do well and drop out of college like he did in the video.

bye Bloggers

27. Brandon D says:

Hi guys it’s Brandon!
    I’m learning some new things about the Brain. I wonder what are we going to do when we are done going around the 3/4 area. I still got one question and that is- Is the brain more important than the heart? One more question How big can your brain grow? I knew that the Cerebrum is the biggest part of the brain and it controls your 5 senses, imagination and learn new things. When I started learning about this subject I never knew anything about the neurons.

Bye guys!

28. Charlotte.D says:

Hi guys it’s Charlotte here,

I can’t wait to learn more about the brain because I think it helps me develop my learning and helps me grow more neurons each time I learn something new. The parts of the brain we have learnt so far are called The Cerebrum, the Cerebellum, The Hippocampus, the Amygdala, the Frontal lobe and the PFC. I rate this school topic 10/10 and I definitely think we should learn more about it!

Bye for now, Charlotte

29. Sammy says:

Hi guys.
    For inquiry I learnt about memory, and how you have to focus to remember something. I also learnt that at the back of your brain is the Occipital Lobe and If it’s damaged you will be blind. I also learnt that you have a nervous system and that it sends messages to your body. Some parts of the body do different things you don’t expect!
    Bye now!

30. Bianca.m says:

Hi all
    I have learnt that your brain can hold as much infomation as you want. Also your brain is like a computer you can learn how much you want to.The brain is the most important bit of your body. Your brain is a controller of your body .

Ok time for me to go blogs bye

Bianca

31. Thomas says:

Hi everyone,
    I will be talking to you about the brain. I have learnt that there are 2 halves of the brain and they are both different to each other. Another thing I have learnt is the messages travel through your spine and if the spine breaks, you can’t control your legs or arms. Next time, I want to learn more about what if your brain gets damaged. When I asked my older brother, he said that he knows that the brain is made out of water and fat, there are different parts that control your life and there are millions of neurons.

Bye bloggers
    From Thomas N

32. Jordan says:

Hi ¾ Jordan here,
    The brain makes you smart and helps you learn new things. There are different parts of the brain that help us to do different things. These parts are called Cerebrum, Hippocampus, Cerebellum, Amydala and Pre-frontal cortex. I would like to know what the brain looks like.
    Bye for now.

33. Jude says:

Hi bloggers
    The back of your brain controls your eyes.
    The left side of your brain controls your right side of your body.
    The right side of your brain controls your left side of your body.
    The brain is like a super computer that stores our memories.
    Bye for now
    Jude

34. Rooney says:

Hi Everybody, Rooney here! I hope everyone is having a great year!

This year we are learning about the human brain. I learn’t about all the parts of the brains, so far I’ve learn’t these parts: Cerebrem, Frontal Lobe, Cerebelem, Motor Cortex, Sensory Cortex and much much more that I can’t remember.

I am also excited to see what I’m going to learn next! I’m also very enthusiastic to learn about the nervous system the most, but anyways…

Bye for now! But not forever! Rooney

35. Alex.F says:

Hi bloggers,
    I have learnt lots of stuff about the brain. Can I tell you some of the things?
    Firstly I have learnt that the left hemisphere of the brain controls the right side of your body and it is the opposite for the other side.
    Secondly I have learnt lots of good keywords about the brain like blood, cerebellum, energy, neurons, spinal cord and of course brain.
    Thirdly I know that if you’re brain shuts down you can die and if your brain gets damaged it can cause a tumor which is very bad.
    Thanks for listening from Alex.

36. Marcos says:

Hi friends and bloggers,
    Using my Cerebrum here to type this post! The Cerebrum is the part of the brain that controls thought, memory and the senses and is divided into two parts – the left and right side. The left side controls the right side of your body and the right side controls the left. For your brain to work properly it needs plenty of water, a balanced and healthy diet, plenty of rest, and exercise.
    I am looking forward to growing more neurons about the other parts of the brain.
    bye for now but not forever,
    Marcos

37. Zoe says:

Hi Blogers
    As you are all aware we have been learning about the brain. Some things I found interesting about the brain are.
    – The brain sends messages through your spine to other parts of your body.
    – There are two sides of the brain which are the left and right. If we are more creative we are using the right side. If we are being analytical we use the left side.
    It’s been fun learning about the brain.
    Bye for now but not forever, Zoe

38. Tony says:

Howdy 3/4s,

I hope all of you are learning all about the brain I learnt that there are different brainwaves. Here is some information about the brainwave Alpha. Alpha brain waves are dominant during quietly flowing thoughts, and in some meditative states. Alpha is ‘the power of now’, being here, in the present. Alpha is the awake resting state for the brain. Alpha waves aid overall mental coordination, calmness, alertness, mind/body integration and learning.

From Tony

39. Crystal says:

Hi bloggers,
    Today I learnt about the human brain, such as the cerebrum, hippocampus, cerebellum, amydala and pre-frontal cortex. It was really fun!
    I am very much interested in the hippocampus, because I like having a lot of memories and it’s a great feeling to remember the past.
    Crystal

40. Cooper says:

Hi bloggers this is Cooper
    I found out that the brain sends messages to your other body parts in under a second.
    If you didn’t have a brain you will not be not be able to move and you will be dead.
    The brain is a jelly rolled up. There are five bits in your brain, the cerebrum, hippocampus, cerebellum, amydala and the pre-frontal cortex.
    Bye bloggers, from Cooper

41. lucas.k says:

Hi Bloggers
    Over the past 2 weeks we have been learning about the brain and how it works. We have learnt that your brain sends messages to the rest of your body at the speed of light or a bit slower. Your spinal cord is like the highway connecting to the rest of your limbs that control your body and your muscles are like separate roads to your body parts. I am really enjoying learning about how the brain works.
    By for now bloggers

42. Jayda says:

Hey blogger’s, Jayda here. Today I’ve heard a lot of information about the brain. There are 1000 brain cells called neurons. Wow I think these things we learn are interesting and awesome I wish we could learn a lot more things about the brain because it seems really interesting. What makes the signal go to different places in our body? It has been a very long time since my mum has been in school, I had to explain everything about the brain to her. By the way christian there is not a definite answer to your question. I tried to look it everywhere but it just says there are billions of neurons. Bye bye bloggers today has been fun talking about the brain anyway bye bye for now but not forever. From Jayda.

43. Brandan says:

Hi bloggers Brandan here.
    What my family knows about the brain is, the brain controls all parts of our body. The brain is also known as “The Grey Matter” because the outside layer is grey.
    Did you also know that the ride hand side of the brain controls the left side and the left side controls the right side weird hey !!!!!

I’m out bloggers.

44. Piper says:

Hi 3/4s,

I really liked learning different things about the brain.
    I really enjoyed going to other teachers classes and learning about the brain. I learnt that the brain can make your body move because it sends a message down a tube in your spine to tell your body what to do.
    Thanks for listening,
    From Piper

45. claudia says:

Hi Bloggers

I have learnt that the brain is the most important part of the human body.

The brain controls how we think, how we move, how we are happy and how we are sad.
    The brain is protected by the skull a protective casing made of 22 bones that are joined together.

The largest part of the human brain is called the cerebrum.

My mum says that the brain controls our way of living, that its so powerful without it you can no function.
    Bye bye Bloggers

Claudia C

46. Maddison says:

Hi it’s Maddie

I learnt that the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body. The brain sends messages through your spine to other parts of the body. The brain controls all parts of the body.

My mum knows that we must look after our brain as it’s the most important part of our body.

Maddie

47. Valentina says:

Hi bloggers,
    I have been enjoying learning about the parts of the human brain in inquiry in our lessons. I have also been enjoying Miss Mirabellas brain hat that we did in class.
    I have also learnt that your right hemisphere controls your left and your left hemisphere controls your right.

Bye bloggers from Valentina.