Inquiry: Growth Mindset vs Fixed Mindset

Growth-v-Fixed

This term we are going to be learning lots about our brains and how they work. One thing we would really like the students to work on is their mindsets. It has been proven that when students approach tasks with a growth mindset as apposed to a fixed mindset, they are more likely to succeed in their learning.

Students – have a look at this video about the growth mindset. You may have already seen it in class.

Parents – have a look at the video below showing Carol Dweck discussing growth mindset vs fixed mindset.

Questions:

What is you understanding of a growth mindset?

Why is it important to have a growth mindset when you are learning?

Can you change a fixed mindset to a growth mindset? How?

52 Responses to Inquiry: Growth Mindset vs Fixed Mindset

1. James says:

Hello 3/4 bloggers,

I learnt that your brain has a fixed and a growth mindset. A growth mindset is good for you because you are more willing to learn new things. A fixed mindset is bad for you because you don’t want to learn new and more challenging things so you only now the same things. Always try to learn and take more risks and take more challenging tests. Always try new things!

Bye bloggers!

2. Emily says:

Hi 3/4 Bloggers,
    So far I have enjoyed researching the brain. Today I learnt that your brain is made from tissue. I watched the Youtube video about Growth Mindset. You train your brain to get bigger and bigger every day. When something is hard you should never give up. You should try again and ask for help. It is important to have a growth mindset when you are learning because your brain gets bigger and bigger and you learn something new every day. You can change a fixed mindset to a growth mindset by learning new things and never giving up.
    Bye for now but not forever Emily

3. Jake says:

Hi fellow bloggers,
    What I know about the brain is that it is a muscle. When you learn new things tiny connections in the brain multiple and get more stronger. The brainstem, that controls a lot of the ‘automatic’ actions of your body.
    The left side of the brain controls right side of the body and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body. The brain is squishy and pink.
    Bye for now.

4. Charlie says:

Hi there bloggers,
    My understanding of the growth mindset is that it allows us to try new things and keep trying until we get it right. It is important to have a growth mindset as it means you want to learn and are willing to learn. I think you can change a fixed mindset into a growth mindset by changing your attitude. I also think you need to change your negative thoughts into positive thoughts. Do you have a fixed mindset or a growth mindset?
    bye for now,
    Charlie

5. Nicholas says:

Hi it’s Nick here.

I think that a growth mindset is to learn and try. The growth mindset is also about getting interested on the subject and it pulls you forward to a higher level. The growth mindset lets you keep up your standard and absorb the knowledge rather than forget it. The mindset can change. You need to change your mindset and always remember it.

By for now but not forever..

6. Isobel says:

Hi blogger’s,
    A fixed mindset is someone that gives up and doesn’t care about achieving. A growth mindset is someone who may get things wrong to start with but keeps trying to get better. For example: When I do my dancing I try new routines and dance steps, I don’t give up and keep practising until I get it right. This is called a growth mindset. When I do my homework sometimes I don’t feel like doing it and that is called a fixed mindset.
    Bye blogger’s see you next time.

7. kevin says:

Hi 3/4 bloggers,
    It’s Kevin here and I am here to tell you about a growth mindset and a fixed mindset.

What is your understanding of a growth mindset?
    I would say a growth mindset is when you have a first try and then you try and improve it/make it better quality.Growth mindset is also when you are growing in your work.
    When you are learning it is important to have a growth mindset because it helps you fix your work and correct it.
    Yes because a fixed mindset compared to a growth mindset is way different.By thinking in a different way.Other reasons are by being more creative ,more intelligent,more artistic and more successful by focusing on the process,not the outcome.

8. jana says:

Hi bloggers Jana here. I want to talk about growth mindset and fixed mindset. Steve Jobs was not rich but he still had a growth mindset. With effort you can train your brain to get smarter. It is important to challenge your brain and with repeated exercise you get smarter. When things get hard you never give up. Bye bloggers.

9. Chrissy says:

Hi fellow bloggers,
    I found that information about the brain very enthralling. I am looking forward to learning more about the neurons inside my brain and how they work. I know that I need to eat healthy food to help my brain grow. I wonder what else I can do to assist my brain development? Hopefully my brain will remember all my learning in 2016!
    Miss F.

10. Aleisha says:

Hi blogger’s it’s Aleisha here,

I have been learning about the brain. Did you know the brain is an organ? If you don’t know what an organ is, it is a part of the body that has an important role in our body for us to live normally.

It’s really fun learning about the brain. The brain controls your body so it’s like the boss of you.
    What do you know about the brain?

Bye for now

11. Noah says:

Hi it’s Noah here!
    There is a Growth mindset and a fixed mindset. The growth mindset is when you are still learning and you say, ‘I can’t do this yet’ but in the future and when you are older, you will find that you have managed to do what you couldn’t do the last time you had to answer the question. A fixed mindset is when you say, ‘I can do it’ and your brain is completely turned off, you can’t do it at all and you can’t grow your brain. That was the growth and fixed mindset!
    I have found that having a growth mindset shows a willingness to learn and develop my skills and would allow me to be a better person.
    Unfortunately, a fixed mindset can stunt your personal development and reduce your potential which is not very good.
    Bye guys!

12. Lucas.A says:

Hi 3/4 Bloggers!

Growth Mindset is about being positive in trying or learning new things.
    Its about something that you’re good at and making yourself better at it.
    A Fixed Mindset is having a negative outlook on trying or learning anything new.

Never be afraid to try anything new!

Bye for now!
    Lucas.A

13. Alexander.C says:

Hello fellow bloggers Alex here,

There are two mindsets you can have which are the Growth mindset and the Fixed mindset. But which is better? If you have a Growth mindset that means you have a good learning brain and if you have a Fixed mindset it means your brain in not that good at learning. Some people have a Growth mindset some have a Fixed mindset. Which one do you have? If you were to never give up that means you have a Growth mindset but if you do (a lot) you have a Fixed mindset.

Bye for now but not forever!

Alex 🙂

14. Joel says:

Hello fellow bloggers,
    Joel here.
    I am so excited to learn more about the
    brain. Did you know that the the neurons
    inside of your brain,
    come together when
    you learn something
    new?
    I will have so much fun learning about the brain, and hopefully you will too 3/4s.
    Bye for now Joel.

15. Alex k says:

Hi guys,
    What I know about the growth mindset is that they don’t give up and have good sportsmanship. It’s Important to have a growth mindset because if you have a fixed mindset you will just give up. I’m thinking we should change a fixed mindset to a growth mindset. You should think that if I just give up, you or I won’t learn anything so we will find something hard and easy so it’s just perfect and learn and think why would you even go to school if you don’t learn! So change if you have a fixed mindset change to a growth mindset now.
    From Alex k

16. Kara says:

Hi 3/4s
    I am really excited about learning more about the brain.
    I really liked learning about the fixed mindset and growth mindset.
    I think a growth mindset is good because it’s positive which is good for learning and it will make your life better.I want to have a growth mindset because it is better to challenge the brain.
    Kara in 3/4c

17. Olivia says:

Hi Bloggers,
    I really enjoy learning about growth mindsets because it is interesting how people think and improve. I think it is important to learn about growth mindsets because we need to think positive and not doubt ourselves. I also think it is good that we have growth mindset and fixed mindset on our wall so that we know how to change our thinking. A GROWTH mindset is positive and a FIXED mindset is when you don’t believe in yourself and you give up.

Bye Olivia

18. Jack says:

Hi Guys
    So far I have enjoyed learning about the growth and fixed mindset and I think I am going to like learning about it for a long time. I am just going to try to answer some of the questions. So the first question says what is your understanding of a growth mindset? Well my understanding of a growth mindset is that if you have one you think “I don’t know this yet” but if you have a fixed mindset you just say “no I can’t do this and I will never know how to do this”. It is important to have one because if you have one then you will learn more things and it will be easy to do it. You can change your mindset if you start thinking “I do not know this yet but I still have a long time to learn about it” and if you start working in a group it will help you change your type of mindset. I really hope everyone enjoys this topic and that their projects are good when we get to see them at the expo if we do have one.
    Until next time
    Jack

19. sienna says:

Hi bloggers
    inquiry is very interesting. About the brain very cool. I learnt that you have a fixed mindset and a growth mindset. A growth mindset is when you are learning new things. A fixed mindset is when things are to easy for you.

from Sienna by for now but not for ever!

20. CATERINA TANG says:

Hi bloggers,
    I think that a growth mindset is to learn and try.The growth mindset is also about getting interested on the subject and it pulls you forward to a higher level.The growth mindset let you keep up your standard and absorb the knowledge rather then forget it.The mindset can change.

BY:CATERINA TANG

21. Andrew says:

Hi all 3/4’s

I wonder what mindsets all the other 3/4’s have?
    I wonder if someone with a fixed mindset can eventually get a growth mindset?
    I wonder what other 3/4’s know about a growth mindsets and fixed mindsets?
    I wonder what other 3/4 family members have a growth mindset/fixed mindset?

thanks from Andrew

22. Dash says:

Hi guy’s it’s Dash

I think the brain is a very fascinating organ. The difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset is a fixed mindset makes you give up easily, get frustrated and stressed. A growth mindset makes you get less stressed and frustrated and gets you to keep trying to do your best. A growth mindset helps you learn and develop new skills.

Bye bloggers!

23. Emilia says:

Hi bloggers,
    I wonder what type of mindset you have or what type do your family have? I have a growth mindset because I am happy to do challenges. So does my family they have a growth mindset. A fixed mindset is when you don’t like to do challenges.
    So what type of mindset do you and your family have?
    From Emilia.

24. Kara.D says:

Hello fellow bloggers,
    I’ve learnt a whole lot of information about the human brain and I wanted to share it with you…
    I’ve learnt how it works, how it reacts to some things, and I’ve even learnt about a growth mindset vs a fixed mindset.
    A growth mindset is when someone perseveres, and on the other hand, a fixed mindset is when someone says that they can’t do something without even trying.
    You can change a fixed mindset to a growth mindset you know??
    Anyway Bye for now,
    Kara xoxo

25. Mia says:

Hi it’s Mia K,
    I think it’s important to have a growth mindset when you are learning because it means you are thinking and trying as well.
    If you have a fixed mindset when you’re learning then you are a negative learner and you give up when it’s hard.
    Another reason is if you have a fixed mindset you do not like challenges and you say “ I can’t do this”. When you say I can’t do this then your brain shuts down and you stop thinking and working. So I think you should try to have a growth mindset.

Bye for now but not forever!
    Mia K

26. jana says:

Hi bloggers Jana here, I want to talk about growth mindset and fixed mindset. Steve Jobs was not rich but he still had a growth mindset. With effort you can train your brain to get smarter. It is important to challenge your brain and with repeatedly exercising your brain makes you smarter When things get hard you never give up. Bye bloggers Jana.

27. Caroline says:

Hi Bloggers

Today I learnt about a growth mindset and a fixed mindset. If you have a growth mindset, you are positive and have high spirits. If you have a fixed mindset, you are negative.
    If you have a fixed mindset, you’ll say “I’ll never be as smart as him/her!” BUT if you have a growth mindset, you’ll say “I’ll try to figure out what he/she’s thinking and try it out for myself!”

So bloggers, ALWAYS have a growth mindset, no matter what and never be negative.

Bye bloggers!
    From Caroline

28. Daniel says:

Hi Bloggers
    I learnt that you have 100,000,000,000 little neurons in your brain.
    And literally I was inspired.
    Well I really want to learn more about the brain because the brain is fun.
    The brain makes me happy.
    From Daniel.

29. Patrick says:

Hey guys,
    I found the videos very interesting. It explained some things I didn’t know very well and now I know it much better than I did before. I learnt that you can train your brain to become smarter. The videos were about the growth mindset and how the brain grows it self.
    from Patrick

30. Hudson says:

Hey bloggers,Hudson here,

I’m really enjoying learning about fixed mindset and growth mindset. I have learnt that it is good to have a growth mindset because you can learn more and grow your knowledge. Having a fixed mindset means that you are not open to learn new things and grow.
    It is always better to be positive and be open to learn new things rather than be negative and having a closed or fixed mind.

Good bye bloggers.

31. Ava says:

Hi Bloggers,
    I am so happy that we are learning about the brain.
    I like learning about the fixed mindset and growth mindset.
    I learnt that the fixed mindset is when you only want to learn something that is easy.
    I also learnt the the growth mindset is when you are learning
    something new.
    I wonder how everyone else’s mindset is?

Bye now, Ava

32. Suzanne says:

Hi 3/4 Bloggers,
    I’m Suzanne (Mitchell’s mum), I just wanted to say thank you for putting this video up and suggesting we look at it. The growth mindset information was very interesting and something I would like to look into more for myself.

Thank you.

Suzanne

33. William B says:

Hi everybody,
    I am looking forward to be learning more about growth mindset and fixed mindset. Why do we have a growth mindset and fixed mindset? i think that I will have a growth mindset.My dad and mum have a great growth mindset. I wonder if the growth mindset is joyful?
    Bye for now William

34. Mitchell says:

Hi 3\4’s

Firstly I am really enjoying learning about this topic. I believe I have a growth mindset and that my family does to. This topic has made me wonder how can the brain do all this? I am interested about the different parts of the brain. Why is there different mindsets? Do you know what mindset you have?

Thanks for reading my comment

35. Antoinette says:

Hi Bloggers
    I have discovered that the brain is made out of tissue & cells. It is also not a muscle, it is an organ. The brain is the most talented organ in the system. Whenever you have learnt something new, a neuron is connected to another neuron. The brain has the cerebrum and the cerebellum. The brain is an interesting organ to discover.
    Bye
    From Antoinette:)

36. Will says:

Hi Everyone

I am really interested in learning about the brain. I think that learning about the brain might help my brain to become better.
    I wonder if we will do an inquiry project on it? If we do then you can count me in!
    I would love to have a topic for genius hour on the brain. I love to do it on genius hour because there is so much information to use.
    I love my memory because i can remember more than I should because i just remember so much stuff from when i was 3, and i also have places bookmarked in my brain from when I was 5.

Will

37. Anton says:

Hi bloggers it`s Anton here,
    Like any muscle in a human bodyyou need to train and exercise it! What I like about learning and putting into practice the Growth mindset it gives my brain the ability to process information and come up with various solutions rather than a Fixed mindset which delivers the same results. A health brain, a health mind!
    Bye for now!
    Anton

38. Kaitlin says:

Hi there fellow bloggers, it’s me Kaitlin,
    I have learnt that a growth mindset means that you keep on trying and not giving up. Everyone who wants to learn should have a growth mindset. I also learnt that a fixed mindset is when you give up and you say “This is too hard, I’m not doing this anymore.” That is a fixed mindset. It is important to have a growth mindset in your learning because if you give up you will not be able to learn new things and learn from your mistakes. Anybody can always change if they have a fixed mindset all you need to do is start trying more harder.
    Bye For Now

39. katia says:

Hi it’s Katia here
    I just want to say that it is really important to have a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset. If you have a fixed mindset you will never learn and you will always do the same thing. If you have a growth mindset you will always finish the challenges you are stuck on. If you have a fixed mindset you will never finish any thing you do.
    Well bye for now!!!!
    Katia

40. Annabel says:

Hi guys,
    I have learnt a lot about the brain so far. I want to learn more about how the brain works. Growth Mindset is good because you can train your brain. My brain can grow and I can learn anything I want.
    From Annabel.M 3/4F

41. Bianca.m says:

Hi all it is Bianca here

Today I had fun learning about the brain. I did not know that Steven Jobs created Apple.
    Now I know not to give up becuase Steven dropped out of school but he persisted and created Apple. This made him became rich.

Ok bye bloggers time for me to go keep smiling from Bianca

42. Noah Ma and his Mum says:

Hi 3/4 bloggers,

Learning about the brain has been very interesting. A growth mindset is when you train your brain to do bigger and better things. Making mistakes is a good thing because that is how you learn. Having a fixed mindset means that you do not believe in yourself. If you put effort into anything that you have to do then you can go from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset. Asking for help is not a bad thing as it helps you to grow.

Bye For Now Bye Noah Ma and his Mum 🙂

43. Loretta says:

Hi everyone,
    Today I am going to talk to you about a growth mindset and a fixed mindset. A growth mindset is when you are willing to learn more and you are persistent when you fail. A fixed mindset is when you do something and if you fail you give up. It is important to have a growth mindset when you are learning because when you have a growth mindset, you take in more things and you learn from your mistakes. You can change a fixed mindset into a growth mindset by not giving up (being persistent) and focus on your learning more often.
    Bye for now, Loretta

44. Talia says:

Hi Bloggers.
    Having a growth mindset is an amazing skill to have. To learn a new skill or understand a topic like maths or a new language requires a lot of study and practice. For some students it takes very little time to study and learn something. For students like me it takes time but for all of us it’s the same because our memory still remembers what we are learning. We can all be good at something if we work hard at it.
    Bye for now.
    Talia 🙂

45. Jaedah says:

Hi everybody
    I learnt that having a growth mindset means that you will always
    keep on trying and challenge yourself. But if you have a fixed
    mindset it means if you try something and it did not turn out well you give up. I had a growth mindset once when I got frustrated doing my homework I did not give up and I kept on trying. One example was when I was doing a maths test and it was new. I kept on trying until I learnt it.

Bye For Now
    Jaedah.H

46. Shona Wills says:

Hi bloggers,

I learnt about the brain and found it interesting. I found out it was one big organ and the growth mindset is a good thing. The growth mindset helps us learn and explore new topics.

The brain is like a big memory bank where it holds lots of old and new information. It also stores our learning information.

If you make a mistake it’s not a bad thing we learn from this and are able to do it different for next time.

A fixed mindset is somebody giving up and not learning or trying.

Persistence, work hard will help us achieve.

Enjoy learning bloggers
    Bye,
    Shona

47. Dorian says:

Hi everyone

I think that I have fixed mindset and growth mindset because I give up sometimes and also I like a bit of a challenge. I really want to learn all about all the different mindsets because I really have an interest in it and it also sounds very cool. Also I love learning about the mindset and love to see everyone’s mindset. I think a growth mindset is important because you will never learn anything if you don’t have one. So which mindset do you have – growth or fixed mindset?

Bye Every Dorian Out

48. Vincent says:

Hello Bloggers!

I have learnt from watching a video that there is two things called a Fixed Mindset and a Growth Mindset.
    A Growth Mindset is actually pretty good for you because if you learn more the more smarter you will become. It is important because if eg. you might need to study/learn for a project so if the project you’re doing is hard/stressful you can just research to make it a lot easier.
    Yes you actually can change a fixed mindset to a growth mindset. Just try to take challenges so you can increase your knowledge you don’t know so it can be a lot easier for every situation learning, education, a test etc.

Bye Bloggers! From Vincent.

49. Olivia says:

Hi blogger’s,
    I really enjoy learning about growth mindsets and fixed mindsets because I think it is interesting how people think and improve. A growth mindset is when you believe in yourself and fall into the learning pit, a growth mindset also takes risks, is flexible and most importantly never gives up. However a fixed mindset is different, it doesn’t care about achieving and gives up easily. When something gets to hard a fixed mindset doesn’t try and it doesn’t believe in themselves. I hope you enjoy learning about these two unique mindsets as much as I will.
    Bye from Olivia

50. Brandan says:

Hi Bloggers,
    What my family know about the brain is that it controls every part of your body and we need omega 3 which it is found in oily fish to keep it strong. It is also known as the grey matter, different sections of the brain control different parts of the body.
    Bye for now
    Brandan