I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE

In Term 4, our Inquiry topic will be I Feel the Earth Move. Throughout this unit we will be learning about the role Earth plays in our universe and why the earth rotates. We will also be looking at the relationship between the sun, earth and moon. This is our second science unit for the year and as a result we will be going to Scienceworks to learn more about this topic.

What do you already know about the Earth’s role in the universe?

What are you looking forward to about this unit?

What else would you like to learn about Earth and the universe?

40 Responses to I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE

1. Vivien says:

I am back to post another awesome comment,
    The earth rotates on its side, and that is what causes the seasons. Earth is the fourth planet in our solar system, and the galaxy we are in (the Milky Way) is just one of trillions of galaxies out there. I want to learn more to learning how many kilometers an hour the earth spins at, and how about leap years. I’m excited about going to Scienceworks! That’s all from me now folks, but I’ll be back soon to comment on another awesome post!

2. kyle says:

Dear Bloggers,
    I know that the Earth rotates on an axis. The axis is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees. Every day the Earth rotates around the axis. The Earth takes one full year to complete a full formation around the Sun. The axis is an imaginary line that runs straight through the Earth to connect both the south and north pole together.

When you look at the Sun you probably think that it moves in the sky. This is incorrect. The Sun actually stays in the exact same position. The Sun seems to move in the sky due to the Earth orbiting around the Sun. The movement of the Earth moving on it’s axis is called rotation

If you took a picture of the Sun regularly throughout the year we would see that it travels on a path in the sky. This is because the earth is on an angle so every few days the sun changes it position in the sky. On the days where the Earth’s axis is at a maximum tilt towards or away from the Sun the length of the daylight is at a maximum or a minimum.

The Earth does not travel in a perfect circles around the Sun. The Earth’s orbit is bigger on one side than the other.

Earth has seasons because its axis does not stand up straight. Long ago an object hit Earth which knocked it out of orbit. This is why the Earth’s axis is tilted.

When the Earth is rotating around the Sun, the Sun can often not be seen in the sky at certain times. This is because when one hemisphere is facing the Sun the other hemisphere is facing the opposite way. As a result of the lack of Sunlight that reaches it that hemisphere is in complete darkness.

The position in which a country is relates to the number of daylight hours when the Earth is rotating.

I am looking forward to learning about the role that the Earth plays in the universe. I am eager to find out the reasoning behind the earth’s axial tilt.
    Kyle

3. Josh says:

Hey Bloggers!
    I am really looking forward to term 4!
    It looks really interesting!
    Also very fun.
    Maybe it could become my favourite topic of the year!
    It’s the best idea for something!

See ya Bloggers!

From Josh :0

4. Lachlan says:

Dear fellow bloggers,

I think this topic is very useful for our lives (especially if you want to be a scientist!). What I am looking forward to about this topic is, the laws of motion, gravity, pressure and much more! The earth’s role in our galaxy is to rotate counter-clockwise. The things that I also want to learn in our universe are blackholes and wormholes and time travel!!
    See ya later!!

From Lachlan 🙂

5. Sienna.P says:

Hi Sienna here,
    I never really think about how the earth is moving all the time, and I guess no one really notices. Well, this isn’t exactly the what I’m meant to be talking about but I find gravity really interesting because gravity is so strong it can pull us towards the earth even when the earth turns us upside down. I wonder what the earth would be like without gravity? How different would the community be without it? I don’t really know that much about the earth rotation but I would definitely like to learn more about it in science. I do know a little about the sun and moon and how they are connected to the earth in some ways, but again I would definitely would like to learn more. Bye for now.

6. Nicholas F. says:

Hi bloggers,

I know that the sun is not actually moving it stays in one spot. The truth is that we are moving around the sun. I really wonder how the moon stays near us not float away in space? I really love this topic and I can’t wait until we learn more about it this term.

Bye for now, but not forever!!! Nick F.

7. Thu says:

Hey there it’s Thu,

I love our term 4 inquiry topic which is the Sun’s, Earth’s and Moon’s rotation. I already know that the moon and sun don’t rotate but the earth does. I also know that the sun is a star, not a planet. I want to know ‘What makes the sun so HOT?’ and ‘What might happen if the sun never rotates?’. My most wanted to know question is ‘Is the black hole really real?’

That’s all for now.

8. Vicky says:

Hey it’s Vicky here!
    I am so excited for space in inquiry in term 4! I already know a lot about space so this should be easy for me. Anyway here are the facts I know right now. The Sun is the middle planet of our solar system and it also has gravity, that is how our planets are kept in place because if the sun was not the middle and had no gravity on the sun then all the planets would be bouncing around space. The moon is not a planet. When the Earth makes a full rotation around the Sun that equals 1 year. If you want to know more space facts from me. Try and find me in school!

Bye for now, but not forever!

9. ricky says:

Hi everyone Ricky here,

Today I am going to be talking about the earth rotation movement.
    What I know about the earth moving is that the earth is always moving but we are standing on the earth so we are moving with the earth so we can not feel it rotating.
    I also know that when you look at the sun you think it is moving but you are wrong because the earth is moving but every 1000 years it turns to a red moon and that is because, the sun and the moon meet together and and then stop.
    But if you lived in Vietnam and it is the red moon people get drums or something similar like a drum and they just hit it and keep doing it until it goes away.
    I wonder what would it be like if they didn’t do the drum part? Well I notice that if they didn’t do the drum part the red moon would stay like that forever and ever until another 1000 years it will go back to normal and the normal sun will come back to life.
    Even though if it is too late and you do it in the middle of the red moon, the red moon would not go away so the Vietnamese people would just have to wait until it is back to normal.

10. Jack H says:

Hi Bloggers it’s Jack here
    :),
    How come the earth rotates but not the sun or the moon?
    I really hope I could answer this by the end of Term 4. Did you know that the stars are always in the sky even in the day. I also can not wait for the excursion we have. I hope all of you have fun next term and have a safe holiday.
    Bye 🙁

11. Jacob says:

16/9/15
    I feel the Earth move
    Hi bloggers Jacob here,
    I am very excited about the new inquiry topic. Also I have a bit of experience because my Inquiry topic now is Why can’t we feel the Earth rotating. I am very interested in this topic because I love to learn about how things work and I love space. I would love to be a Scientist when I’m older because you always get to find out new theories. I would like to learn more about the sun but more specifically how does the Sun stay still?

12. Noah M says:

Hello again 3/4 Bloggers,
    When the earth is moving the sun and moon are still and half of the Earth has the Sun and the other half has the Moon. It is interesting to see that the world has daylight in some places and darkness in others because of the way the earth rotates. It is also interesting that the earth rotates and we cannot feel it.

I am looking forward to learning more about the earth and how long it takes to rotate. I would also like to understand how the earth, sun and moon work together. I am also looking forward to going to Scienceworks.

Bye For Now From Noah!

13. Paul says:

Hey guys, Paul here!

I think that we should DEFINITELY learn about how the world works because I think it will be a great topic for our Inquiry, Plus I have been itching to find out how it works because I LOVE L, O, V, E Science!!

Bye guys from Paul! 🙂

14. Vincent N. says:

Hi Bloggers me Vincent here. I’m here to talk about this topic I feel the earth move.

What I already know is that the world rotates around the sun technically that means that each planet is just like that. So the world only spins around the sun? No it might point to the moon also and Earth is
    one of the planets of the solar system.

I’m really looking forward to this type of unit we are doing because we learn more about how the world works and also because I know we get more of a detail of our world.

I want to learn: How did it all start? Did The World start as something else? etc. I want to discover more things just to get more information.

Bye Bloggers From Vincent.

15. Angela says:

Hi Bloggers,

What I know about the earth moving is that everytime it moves we move with it and through the hours all the countries take turn to face the sun and the moon.

I am really looking forward to this unit because I personally think that the earth moving is quite fascinating and interesting.

I really think maybe we could learn about Antarctica when the earth was moving!!! Does the ice melt??

Anyway that’s all for today!
    Bye bloggers!
    Angela

16. Amber says:

Hi everyone,

I know that the earth spins. Sometimes it faces the sun and sometime it faces the moon. We also move with the moon.

I am really looking forward to this unit because it is about science. Also we get to learn a lot.

I would like to learn what is going on in the earth and the planets.

Bye bloggers!
    Amber

17. Bianca says:

THi everybody Bianca here,

I know that the earth moves around the sun and never stops and that the earth takes one whole year to go around the whole sun. When you look at the sun you think it is moving but it is not. I am looking forward to this topic. I would like to learn about what the axis is about , why does the earth move around the sun and why not the sun move around the earth???????? Finally why is the earth tilted????

Okay guys, by for now!

18. Hayley says:

Hi it’s Hayley here,

I hope people are enjoying Inquiry. Inquiry is the best because you get to learn more about the world and how it works. Our Inquiry topic is “I feel the earth move”. I want to know more about how the world and how it moves around. See you guys next time.

From Hayley

19. Jett says:

Hi Jett here.

Hi guys Jett here.

So today I’m talking about how the world rotates and how it orbits the sun. Earth is a big ball floating in space with gravity and air, so what would happen if you put a ball in space, easy it would spin round and round. The Earth orbits the sun by having a gravitational force just big enough to have the world orbit the sun.

Well that’s all from me see ya.

20. Bianca says:

Hi bloggers it’s Bianca here,

What I already know about the world is that it rotates so then we can get daytime and nighttime. I know that the world is a sphere. I know that it rotates really slow and that gravity makes everything stay on the ground.

What I am looking forward to about this unit is finding out about all of the questions that I asked and also to make a project on space because I want to investigate how the world and the solar system works.

Why does the earth feel flat but it is circular? Why does the earth rotate really slowly?
    What makes the earth rotate? Does the sun move or the earth move? Why doesn’t the earth move quickly?

I think that I will find this topic very interesting.

Bye for now not forever.

21. campbell says:

Hi bloggers,
    It’s Campbell here. How cool is it that the earth is big but when you see the sun your idea will change. My opinion is that when I am older I want to go to space and see the sun. If I could play footy on the moon I would kick the whole pitch. It would be so much easier to kick it high.
    Bye for now.

22. vy says:

Hi fellow bloggers,

What I know is that the earth rotates on an axis. I also know that the sun does not move. It’s actually the earth moving.

I am really looking forward to learning about Earth because there’s so much to learn. The topic I really want to learn about is the axis.

Vy

23. Cody says:

Hi bloggers,
    I am really excited about our new topic for our project because there are heaps of things that you can learn. Here are some of my questions about the world and the universe. How fast does the world spin? Do the sun and the moon spin? Do all of the planets spin around and if they do how fast do they spin? There are so many more things you could learn about the world and the UNIVERSE!!!!!!
    Bye bloggers see you soon.

24. Dylan says:

Hello 3/4 Bloggers!

I know that the sun keeps one side of the earth day and the moon keeps the other side night then the earth rotates to make the the part of the earth that was day now night. I’m looking forward to looking at how the solar system works. I would like to learn why the earth moves and why it has to move.

Bye for now.

25. Tyler says:

Hi bloggers it’s Tyler here,

I just wanted to say when you’re in the car and you look at the moon while driving it looks like the moon is following you and if you stood a little bit higher it may look like you could touch the moon, but you can’t because the earth turns so it looks like the moon/sun is following you and the moon/sun is really big.
    Anyway I will tell you more next time.

Bye for now but not for ever

26. antonio says:

Hi bloggers I’m back!
    I am looking forward to this new topic for Term 4. Can you feel the earth move around the moon?
    I can feel the earth move around the moon. When the earth rotates it blocks the sun at certain times and blocks the moon at certain times.
    From Antonio

27. Matthew says:

Hi everyone Matthew here,
    I really like the idea of having us look at how fast the world moves and what makes it happen. Not long ago I was using a telescope that I got for my birthday and everyone in my family got to see a star but every time we took it in turns it moved so we had to realine.
    Thanks for reading and goodbye.

28. Charlotte .F. says:

Hi bloggers it’s Charlotte here,
    I don’t know much about the universe but I am willing to find out more information and learn new things that I have not learnt about yet. I am looking forward to learning new things about the universe and going to Scienceworks to learn about the importance of the earth. I would like to find out what things the world has to offer that is different to the other planets. I would also like to learn about the big changes in the universe and what has happened to the earth in past years.

Bye from Charlotte 🙂

29. Charlotte.D says:

Hey guys Charlotte here,
    I’ve never really wondered about the earth and how it moves. I have just wondered why it is round. Have you ever wondered why the earth is round?

Well I think it would be a great opportunity for me because I don’t really like that stuff and I’m not really good at space stuff ( That’s probably why I don’t like it) Anyway I do think that If I learn some more about it, I might become interested in it.

Also we have been learning about force and have made a presentation about it and in my opinion, I think that it will help me learn about our new topic. I’m so excited and ready to learn it!

Bye for now, Charlotte

30. Olivia says:

Hi Olivia here,
    I am very excited for this topic because I love to learn about the universe and how the world works. I think this will be a fun topic because we can find out what is going on in space and we don’t know what’s going on in space.

I hope you enjoy this topic as much as I will

Bye

31. Flynn says:

Hi guys it’s FLYNN here,
    I want to learn how the earth works. I wonder if the earth only spins one way? I wonder if we just had a sun would it be bright or if we just had a moon would it be dark. Why don’t some parts of the universe have gravity? How big is a black hole? Why is there planets? How does Earth float?
    BYE FOR NOW

32. justin x says:

Hi it’s justin here,
    I want to learn how the earth moves and works. I am looking forward to learning how earth works and what type of forces it uses and if the forces are put together to make the world spin around and around. How much space does space have? I wonder if there is ever going to be a wall?

Bye for now

33. luke says:

Dear Fellow Bloggers,

Hi Everybody I think that this is a very important topic 1) because we would not be us if the earth stopped moving, 2) because gravity might change slightly and 3) some of the countries would not be getting sun and it would be night every day and the other side it would have too much sun and the sun will affect the normal sleep that we are supposed to be getting.

Bye For Now

34. Josh G says:

Hi Josh G here,

I am looking forward to the next Inquiry topic in term 4 ‘I feel the earth move’. What I already know about it is the earth orbits around the sun very slowly. What I would like to learn about the earth is how the clouds form?

Bye for now.

35. Christian says:

Hi guys,

I do know a few things about the universe. I know that Earth does not exactly orbit around the sun in 365 days. To make up that, there is a leap year every 4 years. I am looking forward to the I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE unit because I get to learn how the earth moves. I also want to learn about the earth so I can study the planet.

From Chrisitan

36. David says:

Hi there.
    You may not know this but we are actually rotating, that’s why we experience night and day. As the earth rotates, it orbits the sun as well. We don’t feel the rotation as we are part of the Earth. That is why we don’t feel.

That’s all folks!

-David

37. Charlotte says:

Hi it’s Charlotte here,

Today I am talking about Inquiry for next term.
    I wonder how fast the world spins? I am looking forward to Scienceworks and the show there. I know that gravity makes us come down to the ground.

Bye for now, not forever.

38. jackson says:

Hey guys Jackson here
    I already know that the earth spins around 365 and a 1/4 times a year, well apart from a leap year. Us humans live on earth- OBVIOUSLY.
    I am looking forward to seeing how the earth stays in place and why there is 365 and 1/4 days in a year and 366 days in a leap year.
    I would also want to know if there is another earth but with aliens.

Bye guys, that’s all I have to say.
    From Jackson

39. Adrian Becker says:

Hi my name is Adrian.
    The moon goes around the earth and the earth goes around the sun. It takes 27 days for the moon to go around the earth and it takes every 365 days for the earth to go around the sun.
    The earth is tilted on its side but no one knows why, I think the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs tilted the earth on its side.
    Thanks for reading.