BEBRAS Computational Thinking Challenge

Last term all students in years 3 – 6 participated in the BEBRAS Computational Thinking Challenge. The challenge promotes the use of computational thinking skills through problem solving tasks. Computational thinking skills are very important for solving problems with technology, and are often used by people who are computer programmers, software developers, and makers of hardware and digital devices.

In the challenge, students had the opportunity to attempt easy, medium and hard questions. The questions went right up to a year 10 level standard.

Students were allowed to work in teams or individually during the challenge.

We had some high achieving students out of the 5000 Year 3 – 6 students across Australia who participated.

We decided to give a few prizes to Year 5/6 students who did well in the challenge which was out of a maximum 135 points. Congratulations to the following students:

Year 3 / 4

– Best team (girls)
Bianca and Holly – 48

– Best individual boy
Michael – 60

DISTINCTION
– Best team (mixed)
Charlotte, Seth and Sienna – 90

DISTINCTION – (Top 50 students for whole competition in Australia) 
– Best individual girl
Vivien – 102

HIGH DISTINCTION – (Top 10 students for whole competition in Australia) 
– Best team (boys)
Nicholas, Kevin and Kyle – 114

Year 5 / 6

– Best individual girl
Gloria – 51

– Best individual boy
Carsten – 81

– Best team (girls)
Ella, Shawnee and Annie – 90

– Best team (mixed)
Sarah P, Sarah B and Sean – 90

DISTINCTION –  (Top 100 students for whole competition in Australia) 
– Best team (boys)
Alex D, Kyle and Sebastian S – 102

IMG_20150508_145044

What did you enjoy about the challenge? Why?

Are computational skills important? Why?

Would you like to learn more about computational thinking this year?

19 Responses to BEBRAS Computational Thinking Challenge

1. Anthony Speranza says:

Congratulations to all students for taking part. The thing I like most about this challenge is that you get to work, discuss and explore ideas together. Some people chose to work alone, and that is ok too!

I hope everyone enjoyed the challenge this year. I am curious to know your thoughts about the following questions:

Mr S =)

2. Vivien says:

Hi, I enjoyed having to think about all of the answers because it really gets you wondering what the right answer is. I think computer skills are really important because when we are old enough to get a good job they will all be involved with computers so we really need to know how to work them and how to solve problems like on the BEBRAS challenge. Well done to everyone who did it and a special well done to everyone who got a prize. I have had a look at the results and I saw that everyone did really really well so we all need a round of applause. Bye for now, Vivien 😀

3. sienna says:

Hi girls and boys,
    Sienna here. Well done to everybody for doing the Bebras Challenge. I would like to say a big congratulations to the people who got an award. I hope you all tried your best.
    Bye for now.

4. Thu says:

Hello fellow bloggers,

I really enjoy the BEBRAS challenge because it is really helping me to think I love computation activities. I think computation skills is important because it helps you with your computer knowledge and makes you really think a lot which is good. For teachers feedback, I would LOVE to have another computation activity.

5. Kyle says:

Hi guys,

I think that the Bebras challenge was a great idea because it enabled us to think in a different way in which we don’t normally do. I highly congratulate everybody for their outstanding achievements. I think that everyone went out of their comfort zones and tried really hard. I really hope that we get to do it again because I think most students enjoyed it.

Kyle

• angestuart says:

Hi Kyle !
      I 100% agree with you. It was great to see people working in teams and helping each other out. Everyone really tried their best !
      Well done to everyone that participated ! You all did an amazing job 🙂

Miss Stuart

6. Katie says:

Hi fellow bloggers, it’s Katie here,
    When we did the Brebra challenge I really enjoyed how everyone took part and tried their best and how it helps you with thinking skills. I think computer skills are important because it helps you with education and so when you are older you could be responsible for your own learning. I would love to do more ICT computation activities another day!
    Bye for now but not for long! 🙂

7. Bianca says:

Hi fellow bloggers,

What I enjoyed about the challenge was that we got to work in groups and why I liked this is because we got to work together and co-operate together.

I think computational skills are important because we need to know how to work things out in our head faster.

I do want to learn more about computational skills so then I can work out things much faster in Mental Maths and learn strategies on how to do it.

I really enjoyed the Bebras challenge and I hope we can do it again sometime.

Bye for now not forever.

8. Josh G. says:

I really enjoyed the BEBRAS challenge and I hope everyone else did too. My favourite part about it was that you could work in groups or by yourself.I think that this is good practise for the future when you do challenges like the BEBRAS challenge.

See you later.:)

9. Charlotte .F. says:

Hi it’s Charlotte F. here,
    I loved the BEBRAS challenge because we were allowed to work as a team and talk.
    It was a really cool test/challenge and I hope that we can do it again. I think challenges like that are good to get our minds thinking. I like some things to be hard but sometimes I don’t like things to be hard.
    From Charlotte F.

10. Lachlan says:

Dear fellow bloggers,

I loved the BEBRAS challenge because it makes you smarter and makes your brain go to it’s limit. The BEBRAS is really fun! Computational skills are important because when you grow up, you’ll have a job, and jobs require computational skills and that is why I think that computational skills are really important. I would LOVE to learn more about computational thinking this year!
    See ya for now!
    From Lachlan

11. cody says:

Hi bloggers,
    I am really happy that everyone did the Bebras challenge. I think that everyone would have learnt a thing or two about maths. When my group did the Bebras challenge we all worked together to try and get the best answers we could. We had to try very hard to get the best results we could. I liked how everyone did their best for their team to make them get a very good score. Great team work everyone!!
    Bye for now but not forever 🙂

12. Dario says:

Hello fellow bloggers,

I like how we had to do the challenge in groups or by ourselves. It helps expand our knowledge and discussions. The group tries to get the idea so your teammates can solve it and get the answer. Other people can share their knowledge as well. Well done to everyone who did the challenge because they tried their best. 🙂
    See you next time!

From Dario

13. Luke. G says:

Hi fellow bloggers,
    I enjoyed the BEBRAS challenge because it was something I hadn’t done before. Computational skills are so important because otherwise we wouldn’t of completed the BEBRAS challenge. This year I would like to learn more about computational skills to help with using our computers in class time.
    By for now but not forever.

14. Nicholas F says:

Hi bloggers,

Congratulations everyone on completing the BEBRAS challenge. The results were amazing. I really enjoyed being part of a team and I’m very proud of what my group achieved. I would enjoy doing more computational thinking activities during school hours. I can not wait for more BEBRAS challenges in the years to come.

By for now but not forever from Nick

15. kevin says:

Hi 3/4 bloggers,
    How are you going?

This is Kevin here.I took place in the BEBRAS Computational Thinking Challenge and I was one of the students that won the certificate.When they announced my name I was so happy!
    When I did the challenge it actually really helped me.I thought that we did really bad but when I got the award I was really happy.
    I think that computational skills are really important because they help us to learn. If you know computer skills it gets easy to send messages,emails and many other things. My 2nd reason why computational skills are important is that they help us to do and use electronics easily.
    Yes I think that I would like to learn more about computational skills this year.

Bye from Kevin

16. Alexander says:

Hi bloggers Alexander here,

Fantastic work in the Bebras challenge everyone who got the google prizes,it was fun and the challenges were great to do because some of them tricked me! It was so great my head nearly exploded off! It is always a good challenge when you have to think a lot. It was like the best! When it was the practise ones I got some right and wrong but found most quite easy. Congrats to everyone that participated in the Bebras challenge.

Bye now but not forever!
    From Alexander

17. Sophie says:

Hi Sophie here,

I think the BEBRAS challenge is a great idea because it would help people get smarter and smarter each time they do it. I really like how we had a choice to either go in partners or on our own. Whoever made the BEBRAS challenge is a really smart person because it helps you learn. I hope all the people had a great time getting their awards.

From Sophie

18. Charlie says:

Hi Grade 3s and 4s
    I hope you all enjoyed the BEBRAS competition. I really enjoyed it. I wonder what your score was? My favorite thing was how some people worked in a group. I wonder if any other schools have done it or not?
    From Charlie