BEBRAS CHALLENGE 2015

This week all the 3/4 students participated in the BEBRAS Computational Thinking Challenge during their Digital Literacy Lesson. The challenge promotes the use of computational thinking skills through problem solving tasks. Computational thinking skills are very important for solving problems with technology, and are often used by people who are computer programmers, software developers, and makers of hardware and digital devices. In the challenge, students had the opportunity to attempt easy, medium and hard questions. The questions went right up to a year 10 level standard. Students were allowed to work in teams or individually during the challenge.          During the challenge, we asked some students what they thought about computational thinking and the challenge.

Skye – “The challenge is fun! It doesn’t matter if you get something wrong because it is just fun to do.”

Rosie – “It’s a good way to learn about different Maths problems.”

Brendon – “It’s quite challenging and you really need more thinking time.”

Noah – “It’s fun! You need to use good thinking skills.”

Kosta – “It’s fun and a challenge at the same time.  It’s a brain-teaser!”

What did you enjoy about the challenge? Why?

Are computational skills important? Why?

Would you like to learn more about computational thinking this year?

BEBRAS Challenge on PhotoPeach

4 Responses to BEBRAS CHALLENGE 2015

1. Vivien says:

Hello everyone, I personally think the Bebras challenge was fun and maybe a bit easy. I was going individual and I wonder who else did? I also wonder what the scores will look like. It looked like everyone was trying really hard so I hope everyone gets a good score! I will be back, from Vivien 🙂

2. Ali says:

Hi 3/4s!

I am really excited to learn that you are all doing the Bebras Challenge this year! We are doing it in 5/6 too and I am so thrilled because I believe problem solving exercises are very important for the brain. The best part of the program, I think, is that you will learn to think with others and see the incredible benefits of this. I am sure you will be amazed at what 2 or even 3 minds can do together!

Missing you all,
    Mrs Marantz

3. Rogan says:

Hi it’s Rogan,
    Last term we did the Bebras challenge. It was very visual-spatial,logical-mathematical but mostly interpersonal. We have not found out the winners yet. I hope I win and get something.
    Bye for now.

4. Dario says:

Hello bloggers,

I like the BEBRAS challenge because it challenges your brain and how you work out the problems. I wish the classes could do it again because it was fun! My favourite part was people getting a reward because they did an amazing job. I’d like to do something like the BEBRAS challenge or I would like to do something similar to the challenge.
    bye for now!
    From Dario