Questioning!

We are focussing on the learning behaviour of questioning this term. Good learners ask good questions. They ask their teachers questions, classmates questions, and most importantly, they ask themselves questions. Good questions show that you are thinking and wanting to know more. They also show that you want to use what you know in new situations.

How does questioning help when you are doing any of the following things:
Reading, writing, doing maths, spelling, inquiring about a new topic, learning about religion, playing sport, creating art, making music, cooking, gardening, dancing, singing, inventing, praying?

What kinds of questions do you think will help when you are stuck in The Pit?

Why do you think it is important to ask yourself questions?

Who do you think asks better questions – students or teachers? Why?

When has questioning helped you learn?

We would particularly like to hear from parents/family members!

15 Responses to Questioning!

1. Mrs. Hirst says:

Questioning always helps me because I am a very curious person and I want to find out how things work, how people think and just generally…..everything!

2. Jo B (Ruby's mum) says:

Questioning yourself is a great way to clarify your thoughts and see if you understand it is what you are doing. If you are not sure about things one thing is you should always ask. My motto is that it’s better to be a fool for a minute than a fool for a lifetime.

3. Hung (Michelle's dad) says:

Questioning is an important part of learning process. Without it we would never know how things evolve around us, how we behave this way but not other way.

4. Michelle says:

Hi Michelle here,
    I think that it’s important to question because it helps you know how to learn or know things.I think that students ask better because students want to know a lot of things. Questioning has helped me learn by asking teachers about my learning. The question that helped me when I’m in the pit was ”how can I do this?”. This is the question that always helps me when I’m in the pit.

• Miss Minogue says:

Hi Michelle,

Thank you (and your dad) for the wonderfully insightful comments. That you are asking yourself, ‘how can I do this?’, while in The Pit shows that you are an independent and highly skilled learner. I agree that students ask lots of questions because they want to know things – the teachers at St Mark’s are very lucky to have such curious learners!

Thanks again, Shell,
      Mrs Marantz

5. Luke D says:

Questioning is important as it helps me to understand and keep on learning and to stay persistent.

6. Grace (Samuel's and Jacinta's Mum) says:

I think questioning is a very valuable tool especially if you want to understand the subject better or if you would like to know more about it. Teachers asking questions can often lead into discussions and can have students thinking of answers together, which can often help those who are stuck in the pit.

7. Mr Pampanella says:

One of my favourite quotes is “The dumbest question is the question that is never asked.”

also

“If you don’t ask you will never know”

8. Breanna and Stephen (Breanna's dad) says:

Hello 3/4’s,

I think that asking a great question helps you to learn more. You will find that the smartest people on the planet ask as many questions as they can, because it makes them smarter.

One thing to remember when asking a question – make sure you always get them to explain their response. Don’t ask a question that needs a ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ answer.

I think teachers ask great questions so you can learn how to ask awesome questions just by watching them.

Also I think a good question to ask yourself is why am I doing this work?
    Another good question to ask yourself is have I ever learnt this before or do i think this work is at my level?

Bye for now not forever

9. Hang P (Claire's mum) says:

Questioning has helped me learn throughout my life because whenever I had a question in mind, it was when I would try to find the answer by either asking others, doing some reading or searching for it myself.

10. Claire Nguyen says:

Questioning helps me when I do maths because when I don’t know something I just put up my hand and say what I don’t understand. Questioning also helps me with reading because when I have a connection I just put my hand up to share it.

11. Sienna (Nick, Sienna's dad) says:

Questioning is a wonderful thing. Often we question Sienna about her day at dinner time. A simple question often leads to a deeper discussion about other topics. The beauty of questioning is that it opens the door to interact on a number of levels; to think, engage, discuss, learn etc. We often urge our kids to ask questions and be forward in engaging with those around them. We can learn a lot from others with questions, but we can also offer much in return when we do so.

12. Jacinta says:

Hi fellow bloggers,

I think that asking questions is good because it helps me understand things that I don’t know.Questioning helps me in maths because it helps me process things that I did not understand before.The questions I would ask if i was in the pit would probably be I wonder questions, such as, I wonder what? And I wonder why?

From Jacinta in 3/4 SM, bye 🙂 🙂

13. thu says:

Hi this is Thu,

Thank you Mrs. Marantz for posting things for me to comment on. I have so much time questioning subjects that it is making me curious. This is great to see Mrs. Marantz and this is wonderful to see parents posting comments as well. Well it’ time to go now. BYE BYE

BY:THU

14. Michelle's dad says:

Questioning others is a great way to expose yourself to new ideas and perspectives. You can even use questioning strategies to figure out if others really know what they’re talking about. But other people aren’t always around. Sometimes you are all you’ve got. Luckily research shows that you can learn a great deal from questioning yourself.