Inquiry Unit Term 2

During Term 2 the 3/4 student’s Inquiry unit is all about the diverse groups that have contributed to our Australian culture. Throughout this unit the children will be exploring the different cultures that make up our community in Dingley. The children in our St Mark’s community represent a wide range of different backgrounds and we would love to hear from parents and children about these.

Where do your family members come from?

What parts of your culture do you still practise and regard as important in your lives in Australia?

Does food play an important part in your family events and celebrations and if so what types of food are special to you?

Children what do you think you already know about this topic?

What would you like to find out during this unit?

49 Responses to Inquiry Unit Term 2

1. Javier says:

Hi everyone,
    My mum’s background is from the Middle East. Both her parents were born in Palestine. There was a war when they were very young, so they moved and grew up in Lebanon. Eventually they came to Australia. I love the Middle Eastern food. I eat a lot of it at my Grandma’s house. The food is very different. We eat things like tabouleh, hommus, different casseroles called Bazela, Labunimoh and mloukeh and lots more. I love my grandma’s food.

I know that countries have states and different countries have their own flag. I know that their are different languages. Names of people can sometimes tell you where they are from.

I would like to learn about maps and where countries are on the map of the world.

From Javier

• Mrs Kelly says:

Well done Javier.
      You’ve made a 5 star blog comment. Thank you for telling us all about your family and your grandma’s beautiful cooking. You obviously thought a lot about our inquiry topic and I hope you enjoy learning more about it this term.
      Bye for now Mrs Kelly.

• Sean and Ryan says:

Hi guys,
      I like your blog it’s very interesting and it gives a lot of information about your families and their culture.

🙂 from Sean and Ryan:)

2. Veronica says:

Hi everyone, my mum’s family is Italian and a bit of French and my dad’s family is Maltese.
    We eat Italian food and go to Italian restaurants.
    I really love Italian food especially pasta and pizza yum! (Italian food)

3. Katya says:

Hi everyone,
    My dad was born in Romania and he came to Australia when he was 6 years old.

My mum was born in Australia but has English and Spanish ancestry.

We still celebrate orthodox Easter. We also have family gatherings on special occasions. My grandma cooks traditional Romanian food like cabbage rolls, mici and a celebration cake.

4. NICHOLAS says:

Hi it’s Nick here,
    That sounds great. I have a German and English Background. Good luck on your poster.
    Bye from Nick

5. oliver says:

Hi bloggers

My dad’s background is French and I’m the the 4th generation of French in my family. My mum is English and I am also the 6th generation of English. My dad was born in France and my mum was born in Australia

Anyway bye for now from Oliver

6. Samuel says:

Hi everyone,
    My parent’s background is from Italy. My parents still speak Italian to my grandparents, it is traditional to get together on a Sunday for lunch and we usually eat pasta and meat balls, which is my favourite, and homemade wine. After lunch we all normally play Italian Cards ,a game called Scopa. My family often get together and make homemade biscuits, like crostoli and homemade tomato sauce which is fun. I’m allowed to help and do lots of other things.
    I would like to know more about Italy’s history especially Ancient Rome.
    bye for now Sam

• angestuart says:

Wow Sam, that sounds like an amazing way to spend a Sunday! Wish I could come to lunch!

Ms Stuart

7. Ella says:

Hi everyone

In my family my mum is Greek and we have a lot of Greek food like Moussaka, Pastitcio (lasagna) but we only have it on special occasions at our house. But I love Greek food because it is different to Aussie food.

8. Ethan S says:

Hi everyone, Ethan here.
    My family came from three different countries.
    One of my families countries is England.
    My Nanna’s parents came from Scotland and Italy.
    They met each other in Australia.
    From Ethan

9. Delta says:

Hi bloggers,
    My parent’s background is Vietnamese. I can’t really speak Vietnamese but I can understand Vietnamese. On Easter we would always go to church and listen to the priest say things about Jesus and that “He Has Risen”. We eat a lot of seafood with rice during Easter time (but I normally eat all my chocolate eggs on the day I get them).
    In our family we eat rice a lot but just not plain rice – I mean rice with chicken or with fish etc. One traditional thing we do is if you are young you have to always respect adults or people who are older than you.

Bye everyone, I hope I see you next time I post something. oxoxo

• Mrs Kelly says:

Thankyou Delta it’s lovely to hear about the Vietnamese culture. I can tell that it is important to you to respect adults by your beautiful manners and helpful attitude at school.
      Bye Mrs Kelly

10. Monet says:

Hi bloggers it’s Monet here,
    My dad was born in France and moved to Italy when he was 14 years old and he lived in Vittoria, Sicily, Italy. My dad left school when he was 14 years old because he started to work. His mama owns a restaurant in Italy and it is still open but the restaurant is actually my dad’s.The restaurant is placed on a beach in Ragussz and my sister helped paint and get it ready to open for business. The restaurant is on the beach and they sell fresh fish dishes there. The parts of my dad’s culture we still practice are his language because we speak a little bit of Italian at home and we also make pizzas every now and then. Food doesn’t play a big role in our celebrations or events but for our parties and events our parents cook the food because they are the best cooks in the world and we get home made food every night. I think I already knew that people come from different cultures, countries and they all have different foods and languages. I would like to find out about the Italian history and what other cultures and practices the other St Mark’s students take part in

• Mrs Kelly says:

Thankyou Monet for your very informative comment. It’s great to hear all about your family. I’m going to Italy this year so I’lI have to find out where Ragussz is and see your Dad’s restaurant if I’m travelling near there. We’d love to see some pictures if you have any.
      Bye for now Mrs Kelly

11. Liana says:

Hi everyone it’s Liana,

My mum’s side of the family comes from Greece. We eat all kinds of creative foods when we are having a Greek function. For example, Pastitso (this is like Lasagna), Toursi (this is a sauerkraut stew), Dolmades (rice in vine leaves) and Baklava. When we get together with our Greek cousins we play games and talk about our Greek culture and how great it would be to live in Greece. We recently started going to Greek school every Saturday so we can learn how to properly speak Greek and have Greek conversations with my grandparents who were here a week ago to visit us. When we go to Greek dances we do the Greek Zorba. This is a traditional Greek dance. We play the song over and over again because it’s really fun to dance to. I would really like to learn more about my Greek culture by visiting my grandparents who live in Greece.

From Liana

• Miss Minogue says:

Hi Liana,

Thank you for sharing this information about your culture. Your comment was written with wonderful clarity.

I am very happy to hear that you are going to Greek school on Saturdays. It will be lovely to be able to speak with your grandparents.

Best wishes,
      Mrs Marantz

12. Thomas says:

Hi everyone,
    Dad was born in London, England.
    When he was 5 he moved to Australia with his family to live.
    My mum was born in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia.
    My brother and I were born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Bye everyone!

13. Charlotte says:

Hi its Charlotte,

Mum and Dad’s parents are from Italy. I know some words in Italian gelati means ice-cream, ciao means hello, come stai means how are you. I go to an Italian restaurant sometimes and I love eating the oil and vinegar by dipping the bread in it. My family make sauce for pasta which I love helping out with. I would like to find out about the history of Italy. I really want to go to Italy to eat gelati and meet family I have not meet yet.

14. Luke ,Flynn says:

Hi people, its Luke and Flynn,
    Our background is Scottish. Our granny was born in Scotland with her mum and dad and most of her family members. This is her 50th year in Australia she has no culture food, but likes all types of different dishes. My mum, uncle and aunty were born in Australia.
    Bye for now.