Term 4 Inquiry Unit: 21st Century Learning

In Term 4, the 3/4’s inquiry unit will be 21st Century Learning. Throughout this unit students will be looking at how and why learning has changed. St Mark’s has had huge changes over the years, particularly in the last 3 years. We will be looking at why such changes happen. Students will also be learning about what schools were like in the 1800’s, how changes in technology have impacted education, how we learn from each other now, physical changes to learning environments, and much more.

We would love to hear from students and parents about their thoughts on the topic. From students, we would like to hear what they would like to learn about within the topic? From parents, we would love to hear how your experiences of school and learning are different from that of your child/ren?

What are you wanting to learn about in this topic?

How do you think learning has changed over the years?

Why do you think learning has changed?

(For adults) What was learning like when you went to school? 

5 Responses to Term 4 Inquiry Unit: 21st Century Learning

1. Carol (Javier's mum) says:

When I was in primary school I did a lot of copying from the chalk-board. Teachers would write up all the tasks on the blackboard. We also sat in the old fashioned desks. They had lids for a compartment that would store all our books. They were arranged in lines so we didn’t have many opportunities for collaborative group work. Learning now is much more interactive and allows for students to use their creativity. In the structured setting I went to school in, we did not have so much of these opportunities.

2. Karla (Natalie's mum) says:

Things were quite different when I went to primary school compared to the way kids learn these days. We didn’t have composite (multi-age) classes and we all learned the same so we were not grouped according to our different levels of learning. We sat in individual desks forming lines facing the front. We had a blackboard and we didn’t have computers in the classroom, but had a computer lab instead which we visited once a week. Our class teacher taught us all the subjects (except P.E.) so we didn’t really interact with other classes. In general, I believe children today are lucky to have so many resources available to them and an environment that facilitates their learning process.

3. Ebony says:

Hi, it’s Ebony,
    I think learning has changed because now we have more technology and open learning areas.
    Learning has also changed because we don’t all learn the same things. We get to think in our own and better ways!
    I am really enjoying this topic and I think it is the best topic we have done!
    I want to learn more about school back in the olden days and why you all had to learn the same things.
    I would also like to know why in the olden days they had punishments and rules like not being able to write with your left hand.
    I can’t wait to learn more about this important and interesting topic.
    Bye 🙂

4. Karen (Ebony's mum) says:

Education has certainly changed since I attended primary school. School was more strict, regimented and we all were taught the same thing. We had blackboards, no computers and weren’t given opportunities to work in groups. Parents were not welcome or involved in the classroom. Today we have a new wealth of technology that gives us faster access to information in far greater detail. However this has introduced a whole new variety of challenges and dangers, which we need to guide our children through. Open plan learning provides children greater freedom to use their imagination, curiosity and take risks with their thinking and learning. Technology is a wonderful tool to strengthen parent-teacher partnerships.

5. Ben.N says:

Hi 3/4 friends,
    I think the olden day schools were horrible because they didn’t have any technology and we used to get whipped. They had to keep their back straight at all times which was a bit difficult.

Bye Ben N.